[Steppes] Fire and Explosions

Crystal Lamb crystl_lamb at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 19:42:44 PDT 2007

Sometimes you can take all the precautions in the world around explosives and there are circumstances or defects that you just can't control.  I certainly hope the media and the community is kind to the owners.

  ~Aslyn\Crystal

Liz <elizabet.peters at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I was in the back yard with the cats and dog when the explosions started. I wasn't sure what they were so collected the animals and headed back inside.

The pictures on the news were astounding. They caught one cansister going up like a bottle rocket, landing on a freeway, embedding in the pavement with the rest of the gases exploding out the other end of the canister like a flame thrower. Wow! Explosions, fire and shrapnel everywhere. They just set up a perimeter until the explosions stopped and then went in to fight the fires.

Having purchased oxygen and acetyne from that company, I can tell you that they, like all other similar companies, are very aware of the dangers of sparks, flames, cigarettes, etc. and take precautions to make sure that accidents don't happen. They are well aware of the dangers and understandably paranoid about safety. There are probably a dozen or more purveyors of welding supplies in that area also. That's why it's called Industrial Boulevard. My guess is that this is simply a "freak" accident. Scary, nonetheless.

YIS,

Liz and/or Fionnghuala the Fair "Nuala" and/or my evil twin, Cedric
"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them."
~~ Flannery O'Connor ~~