[Steppes] Irish folk session....(off topic and mundane alert!)

jake curda jakecurda at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 18:04:59 PDT 2007

havent got onto the bards list yet....in all honesty, between my Japanese mailing list and now the steps i'm not shure how i could ever read them all, lol.........and what I am looking for here is probably 2 nights a month......i live in the benbrook area, and all the people I have sessioned with complain about only getting scottish music here.....but I figure with some help from the SCA, (mainly those with a knowledge of the folk music or just a love to learn) we can get a Folk session going......I have ran into a few in my session groups that would love to expand into that area, but just don't know to many people..........

  the more we have interested the better....plus for some of us this could hold some good chance to be good bardic practice..........and to the one who just sings.......that's more than great....we can't have one person singing all the time, lol..........
Genie Barrett <ladymaggie at justinanimator.com> wrote:
  At 07:31 AM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
> to those who hold a love of old Irish music this is for
> you......I have ben around playing with quit a few session groups
> in DFW and I confess that all i get from them are Reels , Jigs, and
> Airs........Mundanely I am an Irish musician, and all i can say is
> that these lack a bit of the fun and hooplah that i came to love
> about folk sessioning.....no one sings, no one dances.......I want more......
>
> if there are those of you out there who love the music and want
> more of it, or who just want to listen.....get in touch with
> me.....i would like to start a regular session incorperating folk,
> a session like you find in some hole-in-the-wall pub in
> Ireland.........these other groups just don't seem receptive when
> you try to throw in a song like "Jhonny Jump Up" into their set
> list......PLEASE for the love of god and good Irish music, help us
> all........if you play a tin whistle , a banjo, spoons, or just
> bang a pot that your mother gave you lets get to it.....but lets
> play some good Irish music while we do it........
>
> now that I have put this out i will let it be......SCAdians unite
> for better Irish music!
>
> brought to you by the less staunchy half of that Japanese guy
> that the drunk vikings call Yugi-oh....(and still grumbeling over it)........
> Jacob

Hello Yagyu,

I was wondering if you have joined the bard's list yet. There was
someone pinging for you there the other day. It's an Ansteorran
list, and can be joined from the main site.

As for Irish music, I sing. I know a few traditional songs, and have
a few books that I would love to work through. I live east of
Mesquite, but would be willing to travel once or twice a month as
long as it isn't in Plano. I would also be willing to host a session
or three here.

Let me know,
Maggie