[Steppes] Gate Issues (was Discouraging / Encouraging)

Barbara W alysd38 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 10:15:05 PDT 2007

Working gate is like working retail, except the 'customer' is often exhausted from a long ordeal of packing up and driving to the site.  While there is no excuse for rudeness there is often a reason, and those working the gate must try to keep that in mind.  While you are given stories of the 'customer' being rude, there are an equal number of stories of the gate personnel being just as rude.  Again, there are reasons, but never excuses.  Rudeness should be answered by courtesy, in most cases that will diffuse the situation, and at the very least will allow you to maintain your personal ethics and grace.

I do not believe that gate is a good job for very new people.  As that one person said "they should have told you...."....new people might not have the knowledge, experience or confidence to deal with the situations and questions that arise at gate, so many confrontations that could otherwise be avoided are forced onto them.  If new people are assigned to the gate, they should be accompanied by the most knowledgeable members available.  This will help to avoid unpleasant situations.

I know, your next argument will be "we take who we can get, volunteers are hard to come by."  Absolutely true, and a separate issue we must struggle to overcome.

Alys