[Steppes] Gate Issues (was Discouraging / Encouraging)

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:26:27 PDT 2007

I agree that working Gate is a lot like retail and anyone can have a bad day. However there is a major difference. In retail you can be fired for rudeness or be asked to leave the store. We as SCAers are 'supposed' to use courtesy to all we meet, no matter the rank. You never know if the person you are meeting at Gate is the next "Highness" or not. And it can be hard for some people (I have this problem) to recognize someone out of their 'regular garb'. I've walked right past a friend who had changed persona.
When I have worked gate, I have always tried to remember, if you treat people with respect they are more likely to treat you with respect.
Personally, I have never had someone be rude to me when I was working Gate. I have had an occasional problem at Gates, where after the schpeel was said, the forms signed & the tokens given, I would be ignored when I had a question. Where are the Porto pots? Is there any type of map as to where certain groups are camping? Usually, once I break into the conversation they have gone onto, the Gate workers are polite and as helpful as they can be.

Ly Gabriele