[Steppes] Discouraging / Encouraging

Faelan Caimbeul faelancaimbeul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:35:31 PDT 2007

> >Seriously though, is there a method of submitting a complaint if the
> >offender is a person of higher rank? How can we complain or to whom
> >so that there is no backlash on us if it is a person of rank or
> >Peerage?

In my experience, if the person's a jerk, you're going to get backlash,
especially if the person has rank. However, as Robin pointed out, he's
already being a jerk, what have you got to loose? However, even in that case
it's not always true. I can think of a particular Knight who, when
confronted with the reactions to his ignoble behaviour had the backbone and
honor to request from HIS MAJESTY to take time IN COURT to appologize to
EVERYONE, not just the people he offended personally. Granted, I don't know
who exactly informed him of the people disapproving of his behaviour, but I
really respect someone with enough moral fortitude to stand up in front of
everyone and applogize.

I've been known to put those of higher rank than my piddly Lordship in their
places from time-to-time, mostly due to my rather romantic idea of what I
expect from such a person. Call me crazy, but I expect royalty and peers to
have better manners both in and out of garb and regalia. I always considered
that part of their "qualifications" for the rank in the first place. Of
course, some people let it go to their heads too.

Duchess, I appreciate that there are a great number of peers and royals out
there that do "police their own". By no means are you, or any of them,
responsible for the actions of those with no courtesy. I think the rest of
us, of any and all ranks, should make a habit if pointing out that kind of
objectionable behavour. When people start to get the idea that the rest of
us won't stand for it anymore, they'll either change, or stop playing.

As for addressing these issues on the list, I think it's a good idea. Makes
people aware of things so long as we don't get personal or name names. But,
that being said, if you have a problem with someone, try and work it out
with them first in private before getting others involved. Even if it
doesn't work, at least you've shown them the respect they failed to show
you. People notice that too.

Just my two bits.

Faelan