[Steppes] Gulf war gifts - need ideas

brenda mchenry roana8 at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 05:39:36 PST 2007

I beg to differ having seen a quilt done in this manner. Each square is a work of art in it's own right.  It allows each artisan to express themselves in a small area. Write the poem on your square in fabric ink, paint a  period picture on another, agreed there are some arts that don't fit but no matter what you chose it's bound to leave someone out.  Have the woodworkers make a box to keep it in, metal workers create the hinges and clasp.  Roana FitzStephen Du bist niemand als bei eine Katze ungewissand sind.  > > In a message dated 11/10/2007 2:52:03 PM Central Standard Time, > reese_esther at yahoo.com writes:> > It seems to me, that a fleece cloak or lap blanket is something they could > very easily buy themselves. Essentially, all you need to do is buy a couple of > yards of the stuff. I'd prefer to see the gift(s) from the Steppes represent > its artisans, rather than the ability to run to the fabric store.> > That said, I have a fleece super tunic, so I'm not down of fleece. I'm just > saying, it's not uniquely from the Steppes.> > I like the idea of the quilt, as in it is a thing many hands could contr> ibute to, but they would all be textile hands. Why not -- a box, with room for > things from many hands, to show the range of our artistans. I don't know of > anyone who doesn't like a poem about them, their kingdom, etc., and wouldn't > that be a neat collaboration between our thriving C&I community and our bardic > community? So, it's not a quilt in the sense of a patchwork of fabric, but a > quilt in the sense of a patchwork of fabrications.> > My two cents.> > Emma>