[Steppes] Moving Business Meeting

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 11:00:19 PDT 2008

Just a few comments on Emma's post.Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:26:00 -0700> From: reese_esther at yahoo.com> To: steppes at ansteorra.org> Subject: [Steppes] Moving Business Meeting> > The ideas I like best so far....> > 1) Setting the date from month to month, to accommodate the best fit of the officers schedule, with the SCA schedule. Perhaps setting meetings 60 days ahead, rather than 30 would work best? We usually know what we're doing by then.

We run into issues with this because any meetings need to be published at least 30 days in advance. A consistent date is really important to maintain attendance. Knowing that a meeting is always on a set date is really important when trying to fit things into busy lives. > > 2) Combining it with fighter practice, when possible. With a flex date, we could do that, even if not all the time. I like the idea of being able to get together as a Barony, and if fighters don't usually show up at Business Meetings, well, going to them occasionally might not be such a bad idea.

This is possible for some times of the year, but can play havoc when the weather is inclimate or insufferably hot. The other thing that was brought up last night is that while this might work for some of the fighting community, others may really not want a business meeting distracting from practice any more than we would want them fighting in the middle of our business meeting. Just because we bring it to them, doesn't mean they will attend. I can see doing this occasionally, but not on a regular basis. I would rather move it closer to the practice, but not necessarily at the same venue.

> > 3) Moving the meeting from a restaurant venue. I understand that it makes it convenient for those coming straight from work, but if you don't like, or can't eat the food, it can also be somewhat... awkward. What is the feasibility of having it at someone's home, like we do populace?

I agree that this can be difficult, but there is a lot more than just chinese buffet at the current place. There is plenty of salad stuff and seafood. No one HAS to eat the food there. We have a lot of people who come to the meetings and don't eat. They eat before going to the meeting. For those of us who have to travel significant distances after work, I like the option of having food available, though if we had a place where we could bring food, that might work, too. Moving the time to 7:00 makes it difficult for many to get home from work, fix dinner, get it eaten, and make it to the meeting in time. Food, or a food friendly location is a must.

as far as moving it to someones home....we have a hard enough time getting people to volunteer their homes for one meeting/revel a month. Last night someone suggested that we have populace meetings set in intrabaronial regions, like coronations or other kingdom level events are set in regional rotations. That is a lovely idea, but we have to have people in those areas willing to host. If you will note, many of our populace meetings are in the same places over and over. This isn't necessarily because we want to have them for a specific reason, but because we can't always get people to host, otherwise. The same folks volunteer over and over because the dates often go wanting unless they take them. Lasguaard and I have hosted two meetings/revels this year and last. This year was by choice, but last year we took a second and nearly a third month because no one else was willing to commit to them. I would like to do at least one a year,(it's a great reason for doing a big housecleaning and keep from driving a long distance) but if someone else would like to pick up either March or July next year....be my guest!
> > 4) Pet Peeve.... Keep Business for Business Meeting, and pull the meeting out of populace? I don't get to go to Populace very often, and when I have gotten to go.... I've been at a business meeting. I'd like to see a more clear demarcation between the two, and forego business at Populace, unless it is a legitimate emergency where a quorum of something or other is needed.

We have tried this before and have always had folks who want a brief update on what is happening. It is, after all, a meeting, as well as a revel. While everyone is welcome at Business meetings, there are those who cannot make it and still want to know what is going on. A 15-20 minute briefing of the populace and quick updates on upcoming events or concerns really isn't out of place. If you want to skip it, you are always welcome to come to the meeting/revel about 8 or 8:15 and you will probably miss it. > > > > >
Lyneya