[Steppes] Why I'm So Excited About the Homeschool Demo! - Response from the Steppes Baronial Knight Marshal

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 21:10:37 PST 2008

I'm willing to bet money I don't have this was brought up for suggestion and review at Business Meeting, which is the opportunity for the pros and cons to be debated, and the schedules of all interested parties are reviewed. I _know_ it was brought up at the one populace I was able to attend last year.

  Wasn't the Knight Marshall there? Were there no heavy fighters there, or representatives of their community? Or are you saying, as Lord Michael did, that the business of the Barony must be cleared through the heavy fighters before it becomes the business of the Barony?

  No, I haven't been to heavy fighter practice. I haven't been to archery practice. I have no car, I am very limited in what I can do. I am going to try my best to make this demo, because it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to have heavy fighters there, if they can come without undue stress and strain, but honestly! They had the same courtesy and opportunity for input the rest of us did. Thay they are perhaps more wanted and useful at a Demo than I am, well, that speaks volumes for what the heavy fighting community is to this Barony and this Kingdom and the SCA as a whole.

HL Emma

Honour DuBois <honourdubois at verizon.net> wrote:
  Why does it offend so many people on this list to point out the
simple fact that in order to get the maxium number of fighters to a
demo you should check, with the fighters you want to come, when a
good date for a demo would be? It must be pointed out, that heavy
fighter participation was requested, by the group wanting this demo,
but heavy fighter availability was not checked before the demo date
was picked.

Thus the whole reason why this topic was even discussed on this list.
Not because other groups were believed not to be of equal value of
the heavy fighting community, but due to a conflict of the demo's
disire to have "as many fighters as possible" and the unavailability
of the heavy fighters due to a demo date being set without discussion
with them.

In simple and "clear" terms...no matter what group you want to have
at any particular demo, that group should be asked for available
dates before a demo is schedule to assure maxium participation.

This includes your "bards, artisans, fencers, archers and just the
happy and hard workers of Steppes", not just heavy fighters.

Yes, it means taking some more effort then already gratefully put
forth, but what demo is not worth this extra effort?

In Service,
HL Honour du Bois