[Steppes] Is SCA membership declining overall?

alkudsi at aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 11:55:30 PST 2008

Please, let us refrain from using the term "old" -- it makes me feel so, well, old!? And I have been involved a lot longer than many!

Let me preface this by saying I don't have membership figures either, so I'm going on gut instinct. I think I would like to partially disagree, though.? I don't think that we have fewer members, per se, but that each of our members have many more committments and interests outside the SCA. When I first joined the SCA more than 28 years ago (ouch!), it was my primary interest outside of work. We were all more single-minded about our interests than people are today. Now, the SCA competes with other groups (as Arianne's church). That doesn't mean that I don't do SCA events, but just that I have to be more selective with?what I do. I've heard a lot of people say similar things, including my Laurel, Mistress Kalida. And our younger and/or newer members probably have the same issues. I agree we need to be more welcoming, and more tolerant, but we also cannot expect the same level of committment and service from newcomers or younger people who have multiple interests instead of the single-minded interest that some of us had earlier in our SCA career.

And I don't agree that young people today are more interested in video games and "sit in front of the screen" type?of activities than in active physical activities. Yes, some of them are, but many more, especially children of SCA members, are interested in more active pursuits. It may be that fewer of them are interested in heavy weapons fighting, but we have a significant younger populace involved in archery, light weapons and the arts. We need to refrain from generalizing from a single activity to mean general activity level. I, for one, am greatly encouraged by the increased interest level of our young people in the arts!

I think it is something to consider that these days, EVERYONE has more committments, more interests, more to do. We need to think about that when we set up our SCA jobs such as event stewarding or offices in our groups, and not expect total and single-minded devotion to the SCA. Most people do not have the time or the chance to have that single-minded frame of mind. It may mean that we need more people for each job, or more "apprenticing" for the jobs. In our complex Society now, we can't expect newcomers to jump into a major job without training.? When I joined, so many years ago, I started out by autocrating 12th Night...NOT something I would suggest today...and by sharing the office of Hospitaller with a long-term member. That worked pretty well, and I'd like to see more of our officers backed up by "apprentices" in that job. It would also relieve our officers of a lot of work too, making it easier to fill the jobs.?

Just my 2 cents worth...

HL Saqra al-Kudsi, another very old member!