[Steppes] Woodworking Group to be formed

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 04:58:48 PDT 2008

I have discussed this with Baroness Kathryn and my husband Duncan de Bard (aka Robert Wilson) and myself Christianna (aka Liz of Flower Mound) would like to form a woodworking group (not really a guild at present, more of a loose working association) to meet one Sunday a month at 2 pm (or whenever you can make it after that time).  While we could possibly meet on Saturdays instead so as not to conflict with fighter practice, that would probably conflict with events, and we need to do it on the weekend.  But we can be flexible.   We probably wouldn't "teach" formal classes, just see what people are interested in and try to give them hands on experience and time to work on their projects.  My husband is an intermediate woodworker but has not had time to do much woodworking over the last year and had shoulder surgery last spring, so he would like to "get back into it."  He reads a lot and has a lot of publications, especially magazines, about woodworking and mundane projects.  We could eventually make this a guild IF we could be and find some qualified teachers.

We have a small lathe, a biscuit joiner, a table saw, a drill press, a router,  that thing you cut moulding with (I can't remember the name) and other woodworking equipment.  My lord husband could tell you more but he is laid up with an inner ear virus at present and I need to get him on the list.  After that little problem clears up and he gets the tax return filed, we will turn to cleaning up our wood area of our garage, which should be doable in one Saturday or Sunday afternoon (here's hoping anyway).  The garage is cluttered but it is usable and we can park in it, so it doesn't look like the one in Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving or anything.  People would bring their own wood, stains, etc.  They could bring their own hand tools and use ours.  They would need to bring their own safety equipment (goggles, ear protection) if possible, and we would prefer that they use it even though it's not period.  They could work on smaller lathe type projects or they could work on furniture, etc.  If they needed to leave things overnight or for the next month that would probably be OK as long as we could still park one vehicle in the garage if there was a hailstorm or something.  The woodworking is open to anyone 18 or older or 12 and older if accompanied AT ALL TIMES by an adult who can assist them.  Children under 12 could play inside or in the backyard with my children (two girls age 8) but I would strongly appreciate it if another parent (not the woodworker) could stay and help with those children, at least part of the time.  We can visit inside or out if we are not doing woodwork, and people could bring other projects.   I'm not really a woodworker--I'd like to try it but I have to supervise my kids and keep them out of everyone's hair. We have a good sized back yard with no flower beds but a swingset (due to allergies we have elected to have the worst looking backyard from a landscaping perspective that you ever saw).  We also have a decent sized upstairs playroom if it is hot and a variety of toys for children, although most are for girls.  Since woodworking projects can take a long time and make a big mess, people would be welcome to bring their own meat or food and cook on our gas grill for dinner around sixish.  We would like people with younger children to leave by  about 7:30 to 8 pm so I can get my girls to bed (it's a school night) but we could be more flexible about the folks in the garage.  Beer, wine and spirit drinking etc. within reasonable limits would be OK (but not too much if you are woodworking) and swearing should be avoided if at all possible because of the presence of the young ones (although if they aren't in the garage area, have at it, we are not easily offended). Excessive rowdiness outside is discouraged because we live in a conservative subdivision, not in the country.   If you are interested in participating in this, perhaps starting in May the weekend before Warlord or something, please email me off list.  Let us know what type of projects you would like to make too.  If anyone from Glaslyn or Lindenwood or Elfsea is interested,  would the listmasters please  forward this post as all are welcome!

Happy Easter and excuse the length of this post.  I guess I better go get ready for church now.

Yours in service,  Christianna (aka Liz of Flower Mound)