[Steppes] Homeschool Demo is tomorrow - Saturday March 29th!

Elinor Salter steppesexchequer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:56:38 PDT 2008

Just one final reminder - tomorrow is the SAIL Homeschool Demo!  Let's show
this group all the learning opportunities that the SCA has to offer!

The weather forecast for tomorrow as of 7 pm tonight is foggy before 11am
then cloudy, 30% chance of rain after 1 pm (no severe weather), high of 70
and 5-10 mph wind.  There is a permanent covered pavilion and everything is
being held under tents just in case a stray shower wanders by.  =)  Sounds
like a beautiful day!

Setup - 8 am
Demo begins - 10 am
Fighting & Classes - 1 pm (see earlier posts for descriptions of classes)
Demo ends - 5 pm (we invite you to stay and socialize afterwards - park
closes at 10 pm)

Erwin Park
4300 CR 1006
McKinney, TX 75071

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4300+County+Road+1006,+McKinney,+TX+75071

I-75 north from Dallas to Hwy 380/University in McKinney. West on 380 to
Lake Forest/FM1461 (there will be a brown sign indicating Erwin Park as well
as the Myers Event Center). North on 1461 about 2 miles to Rd 162. (Sign for
Erwin Park posted) East on 162 until the road right before the road turns to
gravel (Again, an Erwin Park sign is posted). Do not go on the gravel road.
Take a left and go North until you see another sign for Erwin Park on your
right. Follow that in, following signs. At the main T in the road, go left.
(The road to the right ends 1/4 so there's a sign that says that...don't go
there.) We are at the first pavilion on the left, by the lake and stream,
lots of picnic tables, etc. There is parking there as well as where you took
a left.

IMPORTANT PARK RULES:
No alcohol (zero tolerance)
Park on paved surfaces only (signs are posted)

Lunch is provided for volunteers that contacted me earlier in the week, but
you need to bring your own feast gear.  Otherwise, lunch and dinner are
available from nearby restaurants at the junction of I-75 and Hwy 380 a few
miles away.  We also suggest that you bring a chair, sunscreen, and any
snacks or drinks you may require (water is available on site).

ITEMS NEEDED:
- Adult/children medieval books (you don't mind people looking through) for
a mini-library in the quiet area
- Medieval games to share for people to play (some paper board versions of a
few basic games will be provided)
- Table-top siege weapons as an example for the kids siege weapon class
- Examples of feast gear with a 3x5 card briefly describing price/where you
got it for a display (to demonstrate a range of feast gear from Goodwill to
commissioned)

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED:
- Setup begins at 8am - we are setting up popups and pavilions, including
the Baronial pavilion and a small list
- Heavy fighters (mini-tournament, prize provided for winner)
- Rapier fighters (mini-tournament, prize provided for winner)
- Bards - willing to provide family-friendly stories, songs or instrumental
music
- Help in the game area to help show people how to play (or learn how
yourself)
- Anyone who would like to show up and bring a project or socialize - the
more the merrier!

Hope to see you there!

--
Ly Elinor Salter (m/k/a Joanne Jones)
Exchequer, Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra