[Steppes] Why I play in the SCA

fiacha5 at gmail.com fiacha5 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:54:09 PST 2008

 The following post is taken in part from a friends blog and part from my own thoughts. My reasoning for posting this is to fold. The first is I am in "dude, that was such an amazing, great, wonderfull, and fantastic event, " let down which many of you will understand.  The second is that there are many new folks that might understand a bit better on why many of us persue the dream.  Thank you to those here that are letting me share.

...  The goal for me is to devote myself to attempting to make real some part of the dream or ideal beauty that is my life. This is done through training and practice by performing with deliberation to know what is right in a given circumstance, one becomes virtuous by training of character, to silence in ones mind the arguements to the contrary.  To strive to become the person we can be.

  To copy and compose for oneself rules of etiquette in life and on the field, these are not things that can be done perfectly, but to strive for , to show by example, to be a model that others might impress upon themselves the reasons for courtly manners and conduct. To work towards the goal of becoming the best a person can be. To be authentic, and pursue that which we see as good, to me that is part of the dream.

To train oneself to react in social situations and in combat withen sudden circumstance to to respond  with virtue, to express with deliberation, character, to "do what is right, without thought...".

This is to me what the dream is socialy and withen the martial arts to condition and train, a goal of responding without thought in a goodly manner, to have a state of "mushin", ( what they call no mind )

To train to be the real me, the person I want to be, the martial arts help me change my conciousness and to be in charge of my actions.

Its my island !!!     The dream is not static concept but a pathway and a tool to growth for me, both in the social context and the striving for betterment on the fields of combat. When I forget these things I let many sorrows into my life and have recently been reminded on why I play.

So thank you all !!!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile