[Steppes] OT -- Thank A Veteran Not Just Today But Everyday

alkudsi at aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 07:34:16 PST 2008

Thank you Dietrich.

I'll join in this Veteran's Parade...here's to my father, who landed second wave, Omaha Beach on D-Day to direct traffic and to deal with booby traps, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, helped liberate Bergen-Belgan, and who served through the Potsdam Conference and the trials at Nurenburg. He turned around just a few years later to serve two tours in Korea. Thanks Dad, for 21 years of service, and rest in peace knowing that the Berlin Wall we watched being built has come down. Also, to dozens of my high school and college classmates who fought in Viet Nam -- I was there with you, supporting your efforts from within the U.S Air Force here stateside. Too many of you didn't come home, or came home so changed either physically or mentally that we hardly recognized you. Here's also to my friend Matt, still serving stateside after deployments to the Golan Heights, Bosnia, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, and with two other U.N. peacekeeping tours.

Here's also to the countless civilians in multitudes of countries suffering strife in today's dangerous world, be it here at home or across the globe. Too many times war has come to your doorsteps and you have had to fight merely to survive. Not just the wars of guns and bombs, but the war of ignorance, poverty, and terrorism in all its forms. "They also fight who merely stand and wait."

Saqra