[Steppes] newbie considering throwing in the towel

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Oct 29 07:38:30 PDT 2008

Lauren, please feel free to come join us at our table at Coronation.  I'll
be busy a lot, but there's usually several people around to talk to.

Also, I recommend that you start attending our monthly sessions on "How the
SCA Works".  It's easier to play if you know the rules.

It's not true that "everybody knows everybody".  At Coronation, there will
be many more people that I don't know than that I do.  I'll probably know
one or two more people at the end of the event than I did at the beginning.

However, there are a lot of people there that I do know.  The large mass of
strangers is easier to take when surrounded by friends.  I know the
frustration, and we'll try to get you to know more people.  We certainly
want to keep our award-winning action photographer.  (I hope lots of people
got a chance to see her photo at the State Fair.  It was an excellent shot
of a fight scene at Six Flags.  Good composition, good color, perfect
timing.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
-----------------------------

Lauren wrote:

I'm pretty annoyed at this whole thing that basically everybody knows
everybody and I still don't know many many people as a new SCAer. I'm
getting frustrated and why the heck I'm even bothering when all I feel is
that I'm getting in the way at the events. I feel when I go to some of some
of these things that pretty much nobody speaks to me, with the exception of
a few people. I feel very alone and like I'm on my own when it comes to
learning to play in the SCA. I may come to coronation, but that may be my
last event if this is the way things continue to be.

~Lauren