[Steppes] patterns for outfit with limited fabric

Elaine Crittenden eshc at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 15 19:29:13 PDT 2009

I checked the following site. You might want to see what she did with 6 yards of satin. (Just copy and paste.)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://emily.molanphy.com/pauquet/images/photos/bliaut1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://emily.molanphy.com/pauquet/sewing/bliaut.html&h=533&w=400&sz=65&tbnid=D5MJlEU6qBnqJM::&tbnh=132&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbliaut&usg=__oQ4K_GgTky_Qjt8OU468RAhLPZA=&ei=mpbmScnjFZbjnQei_qGgBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image
Then again, how about an underskirt for an open front dress? I have seen them done with several sections of different fabric, each to be pulled around to the front to peek out from a dress that has that trim on it, the trim's being something you could do with the bits and pieces of the underskirt's leftover fabric. Then the underskirt is always matching.

I've seen as many as four panels on one underskirt and thought that terribly clever, especially when packing apace is at a premium. I wouldn't put the "underskirt of many colors" in a competition, but it's practical for the other use.

Drawstring bags from the 1500's are another option, as are hats. I have done both with leftover fabric.

Another idea might be to go to a library and look for portraits to get some ideas. One of my favorite dresses is one I modified from several paintings by Cranic (spelling?), complete to an ostrich=plumed cartwheel hat out of my green velvet leftovers, though I didn't wear the hat-lady's costume---she was semi-nude! ;-)

Good luck.

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring