[Steppes] Roman Standards

uilliacc uilliacc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:34:20 PST 2009

I was referring to the objects pictured with the article-- I don't think
they were blown...

As to the brittleness of ancient glass-
blown glass becomes brittle when cooled too fast-- in "modern" glass
blowing they learned to make it more durable by cooling slow in an
annealing oven.  The cause of the brittleness is linked to locking in
the less defined more haphazard crystaline structures. Annealing allows
the glass structure to relax and realign more slowly into a less
internally stressed crystaline structure.  Kinda like making diamonds or
making quartz**

blowing glass is popular for making containers-- whether it's into a
mold or not--  this particular object isn't meant to contain anything...

as to working or grinding glass
lower temp lump glass tends to be soft rather than brittle---higher
levels of flux are used to lower the melting point--

glass can also be poured or pressed into a mold, or worked like beads -
the result would be solid (more survivable than blown glass)--  if
semi-round it could easily be hand worked into a sphere-- not much
overworking there (besides heating/cooling of the glass is the problem
resulting in brittleness)-- also dropping viscous glass into a tempering
fluid (oil) slowing its cooling rate produces strong well structured
glass in spheric drops much like making shot-- again if it's mostly
round to begin with not much "grinding" required-- more like sanding.  I
based my suggestion on the pictures of the actual object it does not
appear to be hollow. when in doubt K.I.S.S. is usually right.  you get
green with copper carbonate, but any copper presence in glass making
process would likely lean it towards green

**by the way as an undergraduate we spent a summer building a glass
blowing workshop from scratch, the annealing oven was the one part that
we couldn't get right-- washing machine  timers and  oven elements
didn't work, well but the glory hole and melting furnace worked fine
many fine shapes were blown, few survived the cool down...

in addition to glasswork (sandblast etched, foiled, leaded and grouted
stain glass), there's several years practical experience in glaze
formation, kiln building and maintenance(a wood fired, raku and a large
gas bag wall "walk in" as well as electric), and brazed and welded metal
work(I'm fascinated with the transformative properties of fire). There
jewelry work including lapidary.--
I guess I should have learned something in 10 years as a full time
undergrad... four great instructors at a small regional Ok school...
priceless...

uillecc