[Steppes] Roman Standards

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 23:48:40 PST 2009

Do you mean the gather kiln? At least, I know that the melted glass prepared
for glassblowing is called the gather...

At Murano, because it is a whole series of furnaces and workspaces, they have
a centralized location for the production of the initial melted glass. If you
are using coloring agents, you take up a gather then place it in the glory
hole (furnace) into a receptacle and add the coloring agents. Glass blowing is
fascinating to watch.  Boy, but you better practice breathing techniques before
you try, though! I think glass pulling is considered somewhat easier.

I don't know of too many SCAers who do actual glass blowing or working. I've
seen glass artisans, and a lot of us make various kinds of glass beads using
the different techniques, but actual production of glass from raw materials to
finished project is a rare artform.

Saqra