[Steppes] Paints and brushes, ya-ta-ya-ta-ya-ta

uilliacc uilliacc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 00:36:09 PDT 2009

True, for watercolourists kolinsky sable is long considered to be about
the finest of the pointing brushes, with softer blends rounding out the
wash brushes-- in illumination, you are going to mostly want the control
of a pointing brush (be it round, flat, or filbert) with less need for a
wash brush.  I've always liked natural bristles, but good sable brushes
are expensive and are also susceptible to moths, while cheap ones end up
bald in a few months and never point consistantly...

A few years ago,  most synthetic  brushes  has  straight  plastic
bristles and were mediocre at best, but brush design and technology has
come a long way and brush makers are creating much more sophisticated
bristle designs and incorporating various bristle formulations to create
better synthetic brushes.  While cheaper than sable, many of these
brushes are still a significant investment.  Some will easily perform on
a par with sable,  point well and have very good carrying capacity. All
will be moth resistant until moth larvae develop a taste for synthetic
polymer.

The idea natural for natural, synthetic for acrylic is not so set or
sound anymore...  I still prefer hog-bristle for oils, but I've found
that for watercolour there are some fine synthetic choices availible.

add to that, some manufacturers are now combining both natural and
synthetic hair to make excellent brushes---

My advice to beginners, A good set of synthetic brushes is a great
start, Taklon, (both golden and white) is one of the fiber names that
has been around, avoid black nylon...

Any artist that continues to paint will aquire more brushes as they go,
and can decide whether a hundred dollar plus brush is right for their
needs and pocketbooks-- somethings to consider, a good set of synthetic
brushes will almost always out-perform a cheap set of sable brushes at
similar prices, and good sable brushes will cost much more...

The same test described for natural brushes applies to synthetic...

ultimately, the finest brush in the world is not going to make your work
any better, only practice will do that...  The time for a
better/different tool comes when you can accurately define what it is
that makes the one you are using inadequate...

uillecc