[Steppes] Paints and brushes, ya-ta-ya-ta-ya-ta

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 18 21:47:42 PDT 2009

If you can't use the following now, save the info for later, OK? I've
got a cup of tears for every helpful hint that follows. No sense in
our duplicating, right?

I have a ton of supplies and technical books after decades of
painting, and after I decided I had three lifetimes worth, I stopped
ordering from John Neal Bookseller. He was my best source-- if I had
time for it to ship. Asel's in Dallas was for my more immediate
needs. The expansiveness of choice and their levels are much above
the national chain stores, for my taste and for whom I was painting.

A student grade PAINT has a lot of filler in it. You won't need as
much paint if you use artist's/professional grade. Watercolor and
gouache are both water-based with a kind of glue as a binder. Acrylic
has a plastic binder. Egg tempera has an egg binder, usually the yolk
for greens and yellows and oranges with the white used for blues and
true reds and some purples. Casein paints use a part of milk as a
binder.

Pay attention when you are experimenting with paints. There are TWO
KINDS OF MEDIA. Some are ground up minerals, and some are dye-based
paints. If you have to lay on several colors, paint the dye-based one
first to let them soak into the paper or skin. Next, use the ground
up ones, which will sit on top of the surface. This prevents "MUD"
from forming, as when you mix a dye color as a second paint on top of
a ground up one. You'll get a more brilliant effect with dye first,
ground-ups second.

When you MIX PAINTS, put out your major color first, then add by
tiny, fractional parts your second color to avoid the second one's
ruining the whole batch. The worst I have found for taking over are
the dye colors Alizarine Crimson and Winsor-Newton's phthalocyanine
colors such as Winsor Blue and Winsor Green.

Also when mixing, pay attention to the PERMANENCE (non-fading
characteristics) of the color. You will find the rating like a report
card---the more A's, the better. The whites will give you fits.
"Permanent White" is OK by itself, but it will lower not only its own
A but that of another A color mixed with it. The mix will not be an
A. If you want to take down the color, use Zinc White.

As for BRUSHES, get the best you can afford. Winsor Newton's Series 7
is their top of the line. Brushes by the Silver Brush company are
very close and are typically cheaper.

I have found 2 problems in STORING BRUSHES with the point up: 1,
Paint that has somehow resisted being carefully washed out after the
brush has been used, will slide down the hairs, get into the ferrule
and cause the bristles to break off sooner than usual, and 2. there
is nothing nicer  in a month's evil mind than to lay its eggs in the
top of your best Russian Kolinsky male sable brush's tip so its
larval children can feast on the tip. Take it from one who knows--I
lost the tip of my $155.00 brush to those nasty beasties. I cried as
I turned "Nibbled" into a "wash brush" for laying in skies!

My solution to MOTH-PROOFING  brushes is to get a long, flat plastic
box, & use a hot nail to punch holes in it so any residual moisture
can escape and prevent mildew. I put the brushes in it flat. An added
precaution to protect the tips is to bunch the brushes with half
facing left and the others facing right. Rubber band them together
with the end of the handles extending past the brushes'  tips on
either side. This will allow the end of the handle to take any bumps
and not let the brush tip rest, curved, against the end of the box.

If you do happen to get a CURLED BRUSH for some reason (and there are
many), work up a thick lather of an oily soap and coat the hairs of
the brush with it. Shape the brush until it is as straight as you can
manipulate it. I usually put it into a glass, handle side at the
bottom, (Yes, I know the tip is up this time.) Let the soaped brush
dry overnight. In the morning, soften the soap-hardened brush under
tepid, running water. Carefully coax all the soap out. Rinse
thoroughly and reshape the brush. Put in a moth-proof area and let
the hairs dry. Should be good as new!

There is a favorite brush STORER/SAVER I learned to make from a
matchbook bamboo place mat and some pajama elastic with a technique
called "bubbling" that I learned from some weavers, but that's
another story for another time. I made one for my calligraphy pens as
well.

About BRUSH HAIR TYPES:
Sable hair is unique. It is"springy" (pops back to straight when
lifted from a stroke) and each hair has a bulbous part as it tapers
to the follicle on the sable's tail skin. Other hairs have a
toothpaste shape--the monofilament has all one diameter size. Natural
brush hairs can come from almost any source--wolf, cattle, squirrel,
etc. (Camel hair brushes actually are squirrel tail hair. A brush
seller, Mr. Camel, sold his own designs.) Hogs' ear hair make those
stiff, blonde brushes like oil painters love. The Chinese
grandfathers save generations of cat whiskers for the grandchildren
to have that special, heirloom brush.

Watch the TIP of the brush when you buy one. If you are *really*
spending the bucks, ask the store guy for a jar of water. Swish the
brush to get the stuff out of it that the manufacturer puts on it for
shipping and, like Harry Potter, "Swish and flick." What you are
looking for are hair tips that come together to make a needle-like
point. It doesn't matter if it is a round brush the diameter of your
thumb that is the needle or a fat, flat one that looks like a knife
edge. You are paying for that precision. If the clerk won't let you
have water, don't be intimidated. Ask nicely for the manager and
explain what you are looking for. Don't buy a brush they won't let
you test.

Among artists, the COMPATABILITY RULE is that acrylic brushes are for
acrylic paints (plastic for plastic) and natural hair brushes are for
just about anything else that's natural.

So much for now, Hope this is helpful. I also hope it's not too
overwhelming for a newbie. I'm just trying to give you some shortcuts
that it took me a lifetime to discover.

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring  (Sable Thistle and Iris for C&I, and a ton of
stuff in the "mundane world")