[Steppes] Illumination Books

Fiona the Needleworker danab-steppes at tx.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 14:56:47 PDT 2009

I got lucky today at half priced books! I really did!

One of the scrolls that I took home to paint referenced the book: A
History of Illuminated Manuscripts by Christopher De Hamel. I called
my store by UTD and lo and behold, they had a copy! It was 75.00.
After asking very nicely. They looked it over and then marked it down
to 50.00 for me! WOOHOO!

That allowed me then to purchase a nice calligraphy setup, and some
other books

The Celtic Design Book by Aidan Meehan (covers Knotwork & Illuminated
Letters. It is a beginner's manual).

Celtic and anglo-saxon painting by Carl Nordenfalk - very nice
illuminations in it from various books like the book of Durrow and
other plates.

Celtic Illumination - THe Irish School by Courtney Davis (covers 7th
to 12th century knotworking designs

Les Tres Riches Heures Du Duc de Berry by Jean Dufournet. One of the
ladies had picked up a book in the children's section of her library
that had a calendar of illuminations in it and this is the same thing,
brand new at half price books for 4.98.

All that for 96.00 and change today. I'm very happy with my
acquirements! Let me know if you want to see any of these things. I'll
bring them with me to A&S in August. If I manage to go tomorrow (which
I think I will be able to do as I don't think I'll be working), I will
bring them with me for folks to look at.

Fiona the Needleworker