[Steppes] Next Wednesday, March 11 -- How the SCA Works...Inter-kingdom Anthropology

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Mar 3 12:05:20 PST 2009

You're invited to Robin and Serena's house at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday March 11,
for the next topic in our "How the SCA Works" discussion group:

Inter-Kingdom Anthropology

We will discuss various ways people like to play the SCA -- how they fit
together, how they don't fit together, how to keep what you're doing from
getting in the way of what others are doing, and how to keep what others
are doing from getting in the way of what you're doing.  It will be an open
discussion, with the intent of explaining what you would like to hear about
the differences from one kingdom to another.

This is particularly recommended for anyone going to Gulf War who has not
been to lots of multi-kingdom events before.  We will discuss various
differences in attitude in different kingdoms.  The differences are real --
as real as the differences between Texas, California, and New York.  And
they affect the courts, the fighting fields, the arts events -- any number
of things that SCA members do.  (In fact, one of the differences just came
up.  An East kingdom person would have said "SCAdians" rather than "SCA
members."

Why do Westerners call to say "list field"?  Why did the East kingdom
fencers use a parry-only dagger?  What *is* it about the Calontir wall?
Why do Atenveldters kill from behond?

We especially invite anyone who has lived elsewhere (or anyone with lots of
war experience) to come help us try to thead our way through the various
sets of traditions and assumptions.

ABOUT THE SERIES "How the SCA Works":

The SCA is a co-operative game.  It works because we all work together and
play together.

This leads to an obvious question - how does it work, and what can you do
to become a bigger part of it?

Every month, Robin and Serena will take one aspect of the SCA and discuss
how it's supposed to work, how it really does work, and how you can be part
of it.  Topics will include the social structure, the award system, the
officers, how events work, and other topics to be chosen based on the
suggestions of the attendees.

Allergy warning:  we have a cat.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
Serena Lascelles / Diane Rudin

Use your favorite online mapping gizmo to locate us at:

7135 Vinland St.
Dallas, TX  75227-1829

214-663-2326 (Serena's cell)

Please note that the online mapping gizmos are not totally accurate -- they
ALL come up with a house halfway down the block from us.  Once you are on
Vinland Street, go by the numbers posted on the houses, not the online
"street view".  Look for the house in the middle of the block with a rose
garden including a small statue of St. Francis.

Please be careful when crossing the construction zone around our
neighborhood -- the road is torn up, and if you're not careful, your car
will be, too.  Also, please park in the direction of traffic, or you might
get a ticket.