[Steppes] lost lyrics

Genie Barrett ladymaggie at justinanimator.com
Tue Mar 10 12:28:57 PDT 2009

At 10:11 AM 3/10/2009, alkudsi at aol.com wrote:
>Maggie,
>
>I had forgotten that there were the other verses...I don't think
>I've heard them in years. All the verses are when you are singing it
>as a regular song. In the SCA, at least, just the two verses are
>used when singing as a round song, one group singing the first
>verse, the second starting the second verse when the first group
>starts the third line of their verse:

Actually I've sung, with the northern groups, all of the below
verses....  They sing one, the next, and all the way through to the
last, and then sometimes even repeat, depending on how long they want
to go.  They get all fancy as the first line, usually sung last and
to a slightly different tune, meshes quite well.  It actually gives me chills.

>  Ah poor bird
>Take thy flight
>High above the sorrows
>Of this sad night.