[Steppes] Regional war practice

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Apr 23 21:02:10 PDT 2010

Mike <meggiddo at netzero.net> wrote:

>  From very the tone of your words, you are implying that no one should
>  ever step up to assist in any events other than those that are local.
>  Thus allowing a good many events to died, which includes Steppes
>  Warlord, since a good many Marshals that step up to lend their skill,
>  experience and wisdom and more importantly their time to ensure the
>  event is an success, are outside of Steppes itself.

I believe you grossly misunderstood her intent.  I read her email as stating that it was not a Steppes officer or official representative stating that there would be no combat archery and that Steppes had no say regarding if combat archery was involved or not.  She did not discourage the people of the Steppes from participating and helping, as a matter of fact I believe she specifically encouraged people to attend.

She was just making it clear from a legal standpoint that Steppes as an entity and official group of the SCA was not sponsoring or running this particular practice even though it is being held at a location that Steppes normally has an official Steppes practice.  Not being an official Steppes event means that she is not responsible for making sure waivers are collected where appropriate (yes I know the marshals generally handle it, but she is still on the hook for making sure it is done) and sent into kingdom.

Not being an official Steppes event does NOT mean that people who live in Steppes can't or shouldn't help if they so desire.

Alasdair