[Steppes] Holiday Party and 12th Night Gift Ideas

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Thu Dec 16 12:51:40 PST 2010

I have been finishing my holiday shopping and saw some great gift
ideas for that special SCA person on your list (assuming that you
aren't paying their Gulf Wars registration!).  Half Price
Books in Lewisville appeared to be somewhat overstocked on
medieval and renaissance history books and had more art
books than usual (probably more books than usual of all
types due to the economy).  They also gave me a pretty
good price (for once) on a bunch of kids books that I took
in so if you have anything like this to liquidate, that this is a good time to
take it--I got 4 really nice hardcover books for a total cash outlay of
only $12.  They are also running their "buy $25 in gift
cards get a $5 coupon" promotion like last year and
their 20% off sale starts 12/26 and goes for 4 days. (they had
just gotten in some hardback Harry Potters too  in excellent
condition that they were selling for about $8 each but I already have two sets).

The other great gift idea, even as a gift for yourself, was at Target.  They had
plaid cotton flannel men's pj bottoms in green, blue, and red/black plaids
for $8, which is at least $2-$6 less than I paid for something
similar at Wal-Mart last year.  Sizes up to 2X 44-46 inch waist although
they are so cheap that they just might shrink a bit.   These make good pants for
under my husband's tunics since he's not that into wearing tights,
and they have a drawstring so they are adjustable, if not
strictly period.  And you have to have gotten a pretty good
deal on fabric to make a pair of pants for less than $8.  My guess is
that they will be on sale through Saturday since that's how the
Target sales usually run, but they had plenty of them.

Christianna