[Steppes] Riddle in the Steppes Letter

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 18:34:05 PST 2010

Damn. :)  Already looked it up when comparing the translation.

Here is my version if it helps anyone.  Mine is as close to verbatim as one can
get without sounding like Yoda.

I have worth with men, widely found
brought from the barrows and from mountain-shelter,
from the valleys and the dunes. By day I am moved
by feathers in the air, ferried with cunning
under shelter of a roof. A warrior afterwards
bathed me in a barrel.  Now I am binder
and swinger, soon [I] warp/toss
a servant to earth, sometimes the old man.
Soon that [one] finds, he who fights me again
and by my violent force is afflicted,
that he on [his] back shall seek the floor,
if he of ill counsel did not stop earlier,
strength stolen, strong in speech,
power taken- no control of his mind,
of feet nor palms.  Inquire what I am called,
which on earth so binds men,
dull after blows by day's light.

Wihtric