[Steppes] A bit off topic but still a service project of sorts

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Tue Jan 5 12:05:47 PST 2010

OK, on a much less serious note, my daughters have asked me to
remind everyone that Girl Scout cookies go on sale this Friday
(and will be available for delivery in late Feb).  They are $3.50 a box
and all but .92 cents goes either to the troop for their own projects or the council to
maintain the girl scout camps and programs, including scholarships for those
who can't otherwise afford to participate in scouting.  Our troop is making a donation
to Scottish Rite Hospital this year and they are also working on their Bronze
Award by doing a project involving a local nursing home (they are
planning to put some sort of photo board or memo board at each resident's
bed for cards and photos in addition to other activities).

So, not a service project of the magnitude that Katya is proposing but there is a
service component to ordering cookies!    If you are interested in pre-ordering cookies
(no payment is due until delivery) or want more information about varieties and such,
please email me privately. And, you can ask a tax accountant (which I am not),
but arguably all but .92 cents a box is a tax deduction since Girl Scouts are a
non-profit organization.

Although we might have some cookies to sell at All Con if the
Steppes demo there goes forward, I may not have as many
this year because I am not the Cookie Mom (meaning that
what I have at All Con has already been preordered and paid
for by yours truly).

Christianna