[Steppes] continuing heraldry

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 18:51:13 PDT 2010

Not as much as being a(n heraldically-) recognizable bear.

There are various listings avaliable of what does and does not conflict with one another for heraldic purposes, most / all of which are ultimately "because the heraldic authorities say so".  For most heraldically accepted depictions, a bear and a dog *both drawn in a recognizable heraldic style* should not conflict BUT there may be rulings from Laurel or Wreath Sovereigns at Arms which say otherwise.  Haven't made a dive into those precedents myself recently.  If one is trying to use a depiction of a modern breed instead of one of the heraldic standard forms, take the penalty for Non-Period Style and ask yourself again why you are trying to register that labradoodle / cockapoo / etc. within the SCA heraldic system ... and note that some breeds still popular today ARE known in pre-1600 context and are acceptable charges, or were the last I checked.

Where the SCA College of Arms, the Ansteorran College of Heralds, and their cumulative precedents may be otherwise silent, it has become incumbent upon the submitter to provide documentation based upon pre-1600ce sources to "prove" acceptable use for SCA heraldic purposes.  In general, this depends upon at least two depictions from Rolls of Arms or other "primary" heraldically-acceptable sources [preferably "primary" in nature, or at least accessible in "secondary" form such as a facsimile edition of the primary document].

Amra, Curmudgeon-in-training

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen