[Steppes] February LoAR published

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Sat May 15 21:18:13 PDT 2010

Greetings all.  Tonight has seen the publication of the Letter of Acceptances and Returns fromt he February College of Arms decision meetings.  Here are the results of local interest.  Congratulations to those with new names or armory.  There were no local returns reported in this letter.

Cheers,
Alasdair

Steppes Acceptances

Bjarki Jóhansson. Name.

Cristiana inghean Fhearghuis. Name.

This name combines Scots and Gaelic, which is a step from period practice. If the submitter is interested in a wholly Gaelic name, we recommend Cristina inghean Fhearghuis; Cristina is listed as the standardized Early Modern Irish form of a name dated to 1268, 1269, and 1270 in Mari Elspeth nic Bryan, "Index of Names in Irish Annals". If she’s interested in a wholly Anglicized form of the name, we recommend Cristiana neyn Arrassie. The feminine byname neyn Arrassie is extrapolated from the masculine Anglicized byname M’Arrassie documented to Elizabeth I - James I in Woulfe, s.n. Mac Fhearghusa.

Elfsea Acceptances

Ælfwyn Webbestre. Badge. Argent, a square weaver’s tablet purpure.

Æsileif Geirfinnsdóttir. Name.

Angelique Le Roux. Name and device. Gules, issuant from a sinister wing a hand maintaining a scimitar argent, in base two annulets interlaced in fess Or.

The exemplar for the primary charge appears to be taken from the discussion on "Wings That Hold" from the Cover Letter to the August 2005 LoAR. The discussion on that Cover Letter appears to rule that the included drawing is the default. However, the depicted wing, both here and on the August 2005 CL, is a sinister wing, and must be blazoned that way.

Conall Riabhach. Alternate name Tj{o,}rvi inn írski.