[Steppes] "Warlord camp"-style mosquito trap?

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 15:22:03 PDT 2012

Good Gentles, greetings from HL Lete Bithespring, who has a panacea
for a personal vendetta against some inhuman fiends which may also be
warring against you and yours.

I have discovered a magical (it sounds good) mechanism to keep
mosquitoes from devouring all of their human foes during the more
enjoyable, eventful time of year. Personally, I am wondering if
mosquitoes are diabolical agents sent by Sweden, since they seem to
think I make a good smorgasborg!

[At the advice of my Chinese medical man, I left off the high dosages
of B1 that I was taking for about 2 weeks and seemed to eventually be
doing some good. The combo of B vitamins with C that he recommended
haven't kicked in yet, and I think I will go back to the plain ole
B1..... PLUS using the following device, which I plan to try, just as
soon as I drink the 2 liter thing to make it with!-------God bless
those who post such useful stuff on the internet!]

Here 'tis:
Mosquitoes----BOTTLE TRAP METHOD
	1. Start with an empty plastic bottle that is in your recycling box.
It can be as small as a 500ml bottle, or as large as a two-liter soda
bottle. Discard the cap.

	2. Cut the top third of the bottle off. It is important to make your
cut in the area below the top of the main shaft of the bottle (where
it is widest). You should now have a bottle top in the shape of a
funnel, and the cylindrical body of the bottle.

	3. Invert the bottle top (funnel) into the bottle. It should be a
snug fit (given the equal diameter of the funnel top and bottle
shaft), but if necessary, secure it with tape.

	4. Wrap the bottle with black paper to create a warm dark place for
your mosquitoes to go.

	5. Inside the bottom of the bottle ( Put the ingredients in A.
before you secure the inverted funnel, or B. pour into the bottle
through the spout), place the following:
	    •	1 tablespoon of yeast (for a 2-litre bottle, reduce
proportionately for smaller bottles)
	    •	slightly warmed water to fill 1/3 of the bottle
	    •	1/3 cup sugar

	6. Place the bottle a short distance away from where you are.

	7. This mixture is good for up to a couple of weeks. Change as
necessary.

How it works: The mosquitoes will be attracted to the CO2 generated
by the yeast and will fly into the bottle. The sugar and water
mixture will make them sticky, and they will be too disoriented to
escape. [Here be a laugh as equally diabolical as their whine.]

I class this right up there with Fritz's Homemade Indoor Potty---
which is ideal when the event turns into Waterlord, especially in a
lightning-lit middle of the night. It is made of a 5-galllon paint
bucket (at a home supply store) and its lid+ some garbage sacks that
will generously fit into the bucket + kitty litter to absorb and
deodorize "stuff" in each sack, until it can be disposed of properly.
That little invention has kept me dry on more than one Waterlord
night!!!

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring, now a scribe too slow to grab the little
critters with two of my quills! [like I ever could]
8 - )
mka Elaine Crittenden