[Steppes] Response to the BoD Announcement

Seneschal of the Steppes seneschal at steppes.ansteorra.org
Sun Feb 5 07:28:00 PST 2012

I wanted to take a moment to discuss the recent announcement by the SCA's
Board of Directors that a $1,300,000 settlement has been reached for the
legal case that our organization has been engaged in. For those unaware of
the case, a former SCA member, Ben Scragger, was accused and convicted of
the sexual abuse of multiple minors from 1999-2001. The lawsuit named the
Society and three local officers as defendants and sought $7,000,000 from
the SCA for failure to have policies in place to protect minors.  While the
BoD permanently revoked his membership, the Society acted in accordance
with Corpora and the Bylaws in aiding in the legal defense of the local
officers. I want to be clear that the SCA has admitted no fault in this
case and that we, as a safeguard, have strengthened our policies to protect
children from this abuse. The settlement came as a result of facing
insurmountable legal fees, if the case were to continue.
In the statement from the BoD, it was determined that an equal percentage
amount will be asked of each Kingdom within the United States, as well as
all groups with Corporate level checking accounts. While I cannot say for
certain how much our Barony will be affected, I will tell you that we are
prepared. We have known for some time that there would inevitably come a
day that local branches of the SCA would be impacted by the legal costs of
this case. While the exact amount that we, as a Barony, will contribute has
yet to be decided, we know it will be significant. I would like to assure
everyone that this does not mean that we must cancel events or discontinue
any activities. The Finance Committee for the Barony of the Steppes has
made sure to set aside emergency funds for occurrences such as this.
If you have any questions, please direct them to myself or Their
Excellencies. I will share information with you all, as I receive it.

Yours in service,
Lady Katerina Ine Curry
Seneschal of the Steppes

Board of Directors Announcement: