[Steppes] Response to the BoD Announcement

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Sun Feb 5 08:09:16 PST 2012

I wanted to make a couple points here.

First, as list admin please be aware that I will not allow any negative
or derogatory talk or discussion about the participants in this case.  I
am not saying you will, but there have been instances where emotions
have flown ahead of courtesy and good sense so I wanted to clarify my
position at the outset.

Remember the original victims were children.  Victimized by an
individual who has since gone to jail.  We do not know all the facts (we
never will),nor do we know why exactly the parents decided to sue the
SCA.  Any speculation or commentary on the fact is not really
appropriate in an "official" SCA mail list.  This is sure to generate
some strong feelings, as we have started to see on the Ansteorra List
already, but this may or may not be the best venue to air those
opinions.  I personally have some strong feelings but have as yet
resisted getting embroiled in that discussion.

I will not moderate this list, yet, but I will if it is required.

Second, since many likely are not on any list that would have seen
this.  Drachenwald as well as Lochac and New Zealand and Australia
affiliates have already stated an intent to donate funds towards this
payment as well.  This is despite the fact that they did not have a
requirement as the US kingdoms do.  Not sure yet how much they will be
able to add, but at this point every little bit helps.  There is
definitely going to be impact felt and likely Steppes will be hit hard
due to its current financial status.  Most of the smaller groups just
simply will not have the money in their accounts to contribute.

Cheers,
Alasdair