[Steppes] European Dance anyone?

Julie Cunningham katheryn.cunningghame at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:15:57 PST 2012

There has been some talk of dancing on the Kingdom list. I am not sure what
is going on as far as arrangements here in Steppes but thought I would go
ahead and bring up the subject.

Who all is interested in European Dance here in Steppes? We had a thriving
group here a few years back and I would love to see something get off the
ground. I have a collection of dance music thanks to my protegee brother
Lord Will that could be used for the practices.

Part of the challenge of a dance group is that there needs to be a
dedicated core of people who will show up at each session to make up a
complete dance set. 2 people at each practice will not be sufficient.  .

Bransles can be done in smaller groups as can Dances from the Inns of
Court. Those could be taught in the beginning until a core group is
established. Italian dances can also require fewer numbers but many of them
are couple dances. Many of the later English Country dances require 6 - 8
people in a set

One challenge is finding a location big enough for everyone. One half of a
basketball court sized room would be awesome.  There has to be someplace
here locally that is not an arm and a leg to rent for a few hours or maybe
somewhere we can get free.  Any ideas?

Another important component to a good dance group is having people
available who would be willing to dance with any newcomers. Visitors should
dance at every session to promote the group's growth. It would also be good
to have a few individuals who would be willing to learn to teach/brief
the dances.

I would be willing to teach what I know (once I remember how to dance them
myself - I'm a bit rusty)

Baroness Katheryn