[Steppes] From the Camp Mom

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Fri Feb 24 13:11:59 PST 2012

I am your Camp Mom for Gulf Wars!  Right now I don't think
we are going to be having an official meal plan, but if those of
you attending still want one, please let me know.

 What I would like to do with help
from some others is have coffee/hot water/boiling bag water
available in the mornings, snacks around 4-5 pm, and then
have cooking facilities available for those who want them, including
boiling bag water, in the evenings.  Baroness Kathryn will be
making coffee and asks that those who wish to partake bring her
a gallon of  drinking water and a can of propane.  I would also like donations
of propane, bottled water, breakfast foods (like oatmeal or cereal bars) and
of snacks from those who wish to participate (or even $5 to 10 if
that is easier).  Propane in particular--and try to bring it with you since
they are usually short in Hattiesburg (wonder why?)  Propane is
like GOLD at Gulf Wars.

Lunch will be on your own but of course our campsite will be
available--I just can't promise to be in camp every day at Lunchtime
(although I'm sure I will be sometimes)

 The types of snacks I am looking for:
chips, crackers, pretzels, pickles, olives, cheese, meat, hummus,
fruit, hard boiled eggs, trail mix or period foods--whatever you like!!!
It's for Afternoon Cocktail Hour----errr---Tea.
I have to get my kids fed something before it gets
too late, so everyone else might as well munch too.  Then you can
cope with those long lines for dinner!!!

However, I don't want anyone in the Steppes camp,
or our visitors, to go hungry.  So the snacks and food will be available
to whoever wants them within reason, including visitors.  I am not
going to keep score regarding who gave what although I hope that
those of you who can will give donations of food and propane or cash.
I am especially concerned about feeding relative newcomers, hungry
kids, and young people who didn't bring enough money to Gulf Wars
to eat properly (if they are visiting Steppes or in the Steppes or surrounding
area, even if not camping with us).

We will be bringing lots of
ham and salad and soup for Thursday night (or the last
off night),  and anyone who comes
by is welcome to help us eat it up.  We always bring extra food and
I don't want to take any of it home.

Lady Alex is bringing a camp stove as am I (and probably Baroness
Kathryn as well).  Lady Layla is bringing a tea kettle, and she
and Kathryn have the Buddie Kegs to hold the hot water.  We will use
ALL BOTTLED WATER in the coffee, tea, etc.  I will also have a pot
with a spigot for hot drinking water/oatmeal water as needed,
and a pot WITHOUT a spigot for boiling bags (where we will use camp water
 if that's OK with everyone).  We will have dishwashing facilities but will use
as much paper and plastic as possible for convenience.  I would
like for everyone to do their own DISHES ASAP but we will have a container
for dirty dishes.  Please label things left in the common kitchen area
with your name.

Although Lady Alex and I do have stands for our camp stoves,
we don't have the facilities to haul two of the large Steppes
tables.  These would be useful for laying out food, giving people
prep room, and dishwashing room.  Anyone have any ideas for
how we can get two of these to the site???  The De Bards are also bringing
the fire pit although it's mostly for fun, not cooking.  If you need
us to bring the rack for it so that you can grill something (other
than on a stick),please let us know, We will get a half cord
of wood on site for about $40 (contributions are appreciated if
you want to contribute to the wood),
but we will probably be doing the boiling bag thing.  Lady
Alex is also bringing her dining table and six chairs.

We are expecting that most of you will want to go to Ansteorra Chili Night,
Glenn Ahban BBQ night (I know that's not spelled correctly), and
The Known World party, but facilities will be there for you if you
aren't attending those events.

HL Katya will be setting up the site on Sunday but I am assuming
that the kitchen setup will be behind the main pavillion out of sight
a bit, and near the center of the encampment.

Lord Duncan will make ONE Hattiesburg run, probably Wednesday,
if additional supplies are needed, so let him know if you need anything
before that time, and give him funds if possible.  He's not planning
to go other times unless it is a DIRE emergency.

If you have any questions or anyone else has comments or
ideas, please let me know!!!!  Thanks!!!

Christianna inghean Fearghus