[Tempio] Clarifications

Jan Van Zandt hejanais at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 16:22:21 PDT 2004

Greetings,

All meetings in the SCA are open meetings.  That means
anyone and everyone may attend IF they wish.  What is
important is that the people for whom the meeting has
been called need to be there in order to take care of
shire/event business.  Then any proposed/approved
budgets, expenditures, events, etc., should be brought
up and discussed at populace meetings.

The officers of a group are the 'legal'
representatives of the group and one of their main
responsibilities is to take care of the paperwork,
etc., and make sure things run smoothly.  Officers
should respect the group consensus.  Officers do not
'control' the group - but they should help lead the
group.  As a group member, you have a right to your
opinion, but if you are out-voted on an issue you
should respect the group consensus.

In smaller groups, the officer shuffle is made simpler
by having deputies for each office.  You can hold an
office and be a deputy to another officer at the same
time.  As a deputy, you are simply preparing to -
perhaps - take over that office at a later date -
remember, nothing is written in stone.

This a great game that we play and it would be
wonderful if everyone would 'play nice'.  One way to
avoid problems is to ask questions - of one another,
of older members, of regional and kingdom officers.
The By-Laws and officers responsibilities are on-line.

A LOCAL EVENT is sponsored by a group but is NOT
listed on the official calendar.  It must be listed in
advance in a local newsletter/flyer and/or advertised
in advance on the internet/by flyers/by ads in the
Black Star.  One or more warranted officers must be
present and responsible for the event.  I say MUST,
because if you don't do some advance PR work, you will
end up with just a shire party.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact
me or any other regional officer.  My contact
information is in the Black Star.

In Service to the Dream I am...
Baroness Janais L'orfevre
Southern Regional Seneschal
Shire of Ffynnon Gath

>    1. Clarifications from the Southern Regional
> Treasurer
>
> Message:
> Subject: [Tempio] Clarifications from the Southern
> Regional Treasurer
> To: Shire of Tempio
> Date: August 27, 2004

> After attending you August populace meeting,
> speaking with your current Treasurer, reading
> through the list archives, and being Southern
> Regional Treasurer….. I feel a STRONG need to
> clarify some VERY important details.

>    Just because you are not being charged for an
> event site DOES NOT mean that you can’t charge a
> site fee.
>    Event budgets are created, by the event steward
> then reviewed, revised (if needed) and approved OR
> rejected by the Financial Committee.
>    Event budgets need to be written so that the
income from the expected attendance will cover the
expenses of the event AND produce enough profit to
help pay the local group’s other expenses.