[Tempio] Event planning meeting update: Posted on behalf of Rowanna

John Hale jchaleii at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 14:01:41 PDT 2004

Lady Renee,

Here is my response and I am only speaking for myself
and the reasons for my decisions as a member of the
financial committee.

1.  As it was discussed at previous meetings, the
October event was to be a light-weight, low-stress
"test the site" event.  At the last Populace, it had
become an "Event."  This caused me, personally, the
balk as I had not expected the change.  I have spoken
to those who are planning for October and I know that
they only wanted to do the best for the Shire.

2.  As for spending Shire funds, the biggest issue is
that if the Shire is without a Reeve then all funds
are frozen and we cannot spend a dime.  And at the
time of the meeting, it was still not clear if we
would have a Reeve in time.  I know of a volunteer but
I have not heard if things have gone completely
forward yet.  Also, I recall that there is a Kingdom
law about not being able to charge site fee if the
site is free.

3.  Speaking for me, I thought that the costs
submitted for the "Oct. Event" were a bit much for
what we thought was a laid-back weekend.  Currently, I
know that I am planning to help with costs so if those
who are working on October just let me know what you
need help with, I'll be glad to help.

4.  Advertising - I am not sure what the final
decision was but I think that there was a lot of issue
about whether the Blackstar would let us use the pages
or not.  I personally know that there have been issues
in the past.  There was never any final consensus on
that matter.

5.  Why a big fighter practice?  Well, since I thought
of October as a light-weight weekend, why plan for
anything elaborate?  Also, October is against a Major
Baronial event in San Antonio (AKA the same region),
so there is little chance of getting major personages.
 On top of the fact that many who would come have been
deployed.  Besides, I, personally, had planned to have
more fun at the big fighter practice than event.  And
had planned on having fun.

6.  And this on is a big issue in my book, remember at
Populace, how many people were there?  Less than a
dozen?  It would be nigh impossible the host a GOOD
event with that few bodies... and none would have any
fun doing it.  If we cannot get people to come to the
Shire's business meeting, how are we going to get them
to work at an event.  Now, I know that those who have
been planning for October are working hard, and I
applaud them, but we all want to show the Kingdom our
best and right now we are NOT at our best.

7.  Finally, it is the duty of the financial committee
to judge the fiscal worth of all bids, regardless if
they are popular or not.  At this particular time, I
was, and still am, opposed to spending Shire funds it
there is not way to rerecouphe funds.  It seemed to
me, a lot of money with a dim hope of getting enough
people there, both form inside and outside the Shire.

I hope I have answered your questions and I apologize
if I remembered anything incorrectly, school has
started and I am brain-fried.  I am sorry that this is
so long but I wanted to answer as completely as I
could.  If anyone has a problem with my comments or
opinions, well, I was just trying to answer her
questions and not start a flame-fest.   If you want to
talk to me, e-mail me prprivately

Renee, if you wish further clarification, call me at
home or e-mail me at jchaleii at yahoo.com.

Respectfully,

Angus Ian Urry, Lord
Shire Historian, Financial Officer, former Reeve and
OfOfficialurmudgeon