[Tempio] Doomsday Update

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 17:34:02 PST 2005

*s*....Much the same form of humor that the *original* list was
named-for...The list was so complete, it evoked thoughts among the peasantry
of the Great Book (where all men's names are written), and Final Judgement.
The Period term (in the 11th century) for "Doomsday" was "Domesday."

Amazing what a useful thing a little knowledge is, ehh?

Alden

  Sorry, you missed the humor due to not knowing the history.  I created the
Tempio Doomsday List years and years ago (1985).  It was originated as a way
to contact the members to say time to go to work--the next event is coming
up and we have work to do.  Since a calling from the list usually resulted
in hammers, saws, painting, cooking, sewing, etc; thus resulting in blood,
sweat, tears, arguments, and great times--it was titled the Tempio Doomsday
List.  The name has continued on to present day.
   Karen Van De Iris

    *sigh*...Karen, Karen, Karen.
    The term is *Domesday*, *NOT* "Doomsday."
    Named after the Domesday Book ("Boke"), commissioned by William the
Conquerer in 1085, as a means of estimating land, population, and to
calculate taxes in England (sometimes called the first national census.)
    http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk
    (Remember us, the history folks?)
    Alden
    (back from California, and grumpy)

      It is the end of the year and once again, the Tempio Doomsday List
needs to be updated.  Please send me your SCA name, legal name, address,
phone number, birthday (month and day), and if you do not want any of the
above info published for Shire members.  Please respond to gemhem at hot.rr.com
.  Thanks in advance for the updated information.  Also, if you know of a
member who is not on the list, please forward this request to them.
      Karen Van De Iris (Karen Renker)