[Vindheim] Golden Comb and Thunderbolt

Prince of Vindheim prince at vindheim.ansteorra.org
Tue Sep 20 12:00:00 PDT 2022

At Mooneschadowe Trade Days Saturday we made some updates to two of the
principality awards that were created by Romanius and Deanna. Please read
on for more details about these changes.

The Order of the Golden Comb. This recognition is for those who are under
the age of 18 and participate and serve in the SCA above what is expected
of them. To this Order we have given some special responsibilities and the
privileges necessary to complete their task. Members of the Order of the
Golden Comb shall serve as messengers for the Coronet. As our messengers,
the Golden Combs shall have uncommon access to the Coronet. They may enter
a court of the Coronet unbidden to respectfully wait to deliver or receive
any messages. In order to ease the burden of the Golden Combs with their
new responsibilities, we have also proposed insignia for the Order. They
may have a messenger style satchel bag in a sanguine color with a golden
honeycomb design on the outside flap. Inside this bag should always be a
small notepad and writing utensil for messages. Jean Paul also turned his
creativity towards writing a scroll text for recipients of this award
during our reign.

*Upon the great tree Yggdrasil, teeth sharp, wit biting.  From root to
crest message carrying.  Bushy tailed Mercury,Reality renewing balance
giverRattatoskr’s descendants move amongst Vindheim,*

*Serving to keep it safe, and carrying the messages that bind it together.
 So vital a service is given by these persons, that We, Jean Paul and
Gilyan, first of that name, heirs to Romanius and Deanna, the Founders,
recognize in <Rose of Marata> the spirit of the messenger, and call them
forth to join the Order of the Golden Comb.*

The Award of the Thunderbolt. Romanius and Deanna created this award as the
Crimson Firebolt and it was to be given to those who distinguished or
impressed the Coronet with their martial pursuits. We have changed the name
to the Award of the Thunderbolt and expanded the possible recipients to
include anyone who has distinguished or impressed the Coronet with an
example of phenomenal prowess, extraordinary artistry, or remarkable
service. Jean Paul also wrote a scroll text for this award during our reign.

*The skalds say when our ancestors came to this land, storms and winds,
rain and fire beset them.  As they learned to dwell in harmony, the fire
and lightning became warmth and delight.  The joy in the ferocity, the
speed, and the power of Odin’s spear became a symbol of those who excelled
in the moment.  One such person is <Lillias MacGuffin>, who’s actions have
caused the notice of the rulers, Jean Paul and Gilyan, first of that name,
heirs to Romanius and Deanna, the Founders. For <Lillias'> exceptional
nature, they are added to the order of the Thunderbolt, Odin’s favorites,
and beacons for Vindheims people. Sing their praise, for they are favored
on this day.*

As always, if you have any recommendations or recipients for these or any
other award, please tell us. We are delighted at the opportunity to
recognize deserving people. We also continue to welcome your thoughts and
opinions on new principality awards or updates to any of the ones that have
been announced so far. While we have ideas and plans in motion, it is not
too late to change trajectory with logical and researched data.

We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at Namron
Protectorate! Good things will happen there! (hint, hint)  ;)

Prince Jean Paul
Princess Gilyan
Coronet of Vindheim