WR - RE: Update on Rachel

Warren T. Klinger bentnose at juno.com
Thu Apr 16 13:20:32 PDT 1998

I once again come to you asking you to put Rachel in your prayers.  She
has taken a turn for the worse.  As of this morning; she had some
internal bleeding somewhere and was vomiting coffee grounds.  The doctors
feel that it will be any day now.  I will keep all of you up to date as
often as possible.

Because of some questions, a little background on Rachel.  She is my
youngest sister. She is 22 years old and her condition was caused by
chemotherapy treatments she received when she was 2 years old for cancer.
 She had cancer of the nasal passage and the upper palette of the month.
The tumor was inoperable and that is why we used chemotherapy.  The
medicines that they used back then, we were told would cause some
side-effects, possibly some long-term even.  So little was known back
then that we went with what we felt was our best decision and treated her
with the chemo.  The cancer went into remission after a two year fight
and the side effects started when she had been in remission approximately
8 years.  The side effects included muscles and tendons not growing,
heart problems, kidney, lungs and liver problems.  She was afflicted with
shingles on a regular basis.  The doctors felt that as of 5 years ago,
she was a candidate for a heart transplant and so we began the
fund-raising.  We got her on the list, and began playing the waiting
game.  Last November was when we had to remove her from the list because
her other organs started failing as well and the doctors said that she
would not survive a multi-organ transplant.  She then went on medication
to try to prolong her life so that she could meet some goals that she
set, but decided recently as many of you know to let the medicine run out
and to let it come to an end.  Her decision was not liked by many in the
family, but I do support it because I understand it is a matter of
quality of life versus quantity of life.  And there is not much quality
to life if one lives in pain constantly.  I hope this helps everybody get
to know my sister Rachel a little better and know why she is so special
to me.

In Service to the Dream;

Lord Angus Duncan Cameron
(Warren T. Klinger)