WR - Older players

Thomas Jenkins enforcer_74 at email.com
Fri Dec 24 11:14:56 PST 1999

Lady Eleanor, I agree, and I disagree. Burn out is very common in our sport,
and in the end those of us that just flat wear ourselves out have no one
else to blame but ourselves. There is a point where one just has to say "No,
I'm sorry, but I can't." I've seen marriages destroyed, friendships ended,
and professional lives ignored because someone didn't know when to say
"when." I remember a program from elementary school, and it said "Too much
of anything isn't good for you," or something like that. Let's keep that in
mind.

As far a older members being "driven" out, I think the root of the problem
is being ignored. There's nothing worse than being handed a new form to fill
out, being patted on the butt and sent on your way, and realizing you have
no idea how to fill it out. As Knights Marshall of Crossrode Keep, I've been
blessed in my tenure with regional officers that listen, and do their best
to get back to me with answers. Sir Aaron was a wonderful person to report
to and work with, and Chiang has already been an immense help. However, not
everyone is as lucky as I am.

I've seen instances where local officers have requested information or help
seven or eight times, and gotten no response. No response, folks. Not an
"I'll have to get back to you." Not an "I'm working on it." Not even an
"Screw you and your problems." If Kingdom is going to continue changing
policies and procedures, there needs to be better communication among the
ranks. Regional oficers, if the seneschal of BFE needs to know something,
don't just write it on your list of things to do and forget about it. Track
down the answer. If it's going to take a while, let the BFE seneschal know
that. Keep him or her informed, and most importanly, let them know you
haven't forgotten about them.

Officers, if you need information, and you can't get a response, go over
that person's head. Geez, it communications get TOO bad, contact the King
and Queen. Sure they're royalty, but they are also the chief indians. They
are the "top" of the chain of command, and as long as you follow that chain,
I'm sure they'll be happy to listen (this is just my opinion, and in no way
represents laws or opinions put forth by the Crown of Ansteorra, etc.,
etc...)

Of course, that's just my opinion...

Ld. Logan Macleod
of the Clan Macleod