WR - The Cause

Jacque jacquelight at cableone.net
Tue Dec 21 11:02:45 PST 1999

Toshiro wrote:
We are driving away the best resource we have,  the older
> players.

Rarely do I tear up and sniffle when I read email.  But Toshiro has hit the
nail square on the head.  I can only speak for me personally.  I remember a
time when the Seneschal did a comprensive type report each month covering
all activity in the group...not more compartmentalized as we do now.  We
only had 4 offices.  It was mostly easy.  Things were simple.  Lawyers had
not dictated how we should play our game.  Now there are so many officers.
I cant say that any one is more necessary than the others.  Truly, an
organization can be no greater than the sum of its parts.  And I truly feel
that we have become so paper intensive and bound by issues that we are no
longer what we once were.    Instead of looking at consolidation of officers
and lessening of paperwork, we seem to create more each year.  There can be
no guarantee in a volunteer organization that training will be done by
officers.  It is still a hobby after all.  (OK OK...for some of us perhaps
it is closer to a religion or at least a way of life)  But it quickly
becomes as easy to spend at least as much time on your hobby as at your
place of employment when you become involved in an office.  This isn't the
way it was supposed to be.

Ulrica