[Western] CeltFest update

jlusk at crcom.net jlusk at crcom.net
Tue Mar 22 15:05:27 PST 2005

Greetings, all brave souls returning from War!

While you're resting up and regrouping after Gulf, here's some updated info to
ponder about the upcoming SCA regional demo at CeltFest in Odessa, Apr. 16 &
17.

So far, we've reserved space for 3 10' x 10' popup pavilions, an 8' x 10'
period viewing pavilion, and a 20' x 20' list field.  Crossrode Keep is
providing the list field setup materials and 3 tables and some banners.  As
plans now stand, we'll set the 3 popups together and use the tables for the
A&S display. I think the viewing pavilion will look good at one end of the
list field. We've requested one 110 electrical hookup at our site.

Lady Muirghein (sp?) of Trelac has graciously volunteered to head up the
rapier demo. She's planning some wonderful pomp and show that sounds like
great fun for fighters and spectators alike.  Would someone like to volunteer
to organize the armored combat portion of the demo?  We won't have room for
archery or KA&S demo, but I thought if someone could bring some of the weapons
used to show folks, it might generate some interest in those areas.  I can
bring target archery stuff.  Does someone have some combat arrows and/or
crossbow equipment to show?

On the A&S side, the fiber arts are pretty well represented--inkle, tablet, 4-
harness, and rigid heddle weaving.  We've got some embroidery to display, but
would encourage our wonderfully talented embroiderers and blackworkers to
bring wares and demonstrate your crafts.  Also, how about jewelry makers,
leather and wood workers, costumers, painters and illuminators?  Info from
brewers?  Chain maile demo and display?  Horn and bone carving?  Pottery and
ceramic artists? Dancers and bards?  Stained glass artists?  I'm probably
forgetting someone's specialty, but we want you, too.

Our site is next to the children's area, and we've been asked to also
supervise their activities.  The CeltFest has mucho materials for coloring and
paper crowns and such, they just need our help in watching over the smalls.
We can take turns with young ones if we'd like, whatever everyone would like
to do.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Mistress Evelyn does need the names of all of us who plan to
attend the demo, so she can put our names on the volunteers list.  We'll need
to check in at the volunteer table at the Fest and get volunteer bracelets.
You can let me (jlusk at crcom.net), or Lady Almaith (ceryndip at juno.com)know
you're coming, or you can sign up on the volunteer list the CeltFest website
(www.texascelticfestival.org).

I'm hoping this can be a fun and productive display for our region and the
SCA.  If you are planning to come and are bringing a pavilion, please let us
know so we can reserve the space.  If any of you need other supplies (tables
and such), also please just let us know.  There's probably lots I haven't
thought of, and will appreciate your input.

Thanks for your interest and help.  I'll keep you all updated as the date gets
closer.

Your friend,
Elewys