abusive e-mail from Litch

PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Tue Feb 28 08:44:27 PST 1995

Michael Clay flames the list.  I won't quote it, but his gist is to defend
Litch's right to behave in the fashion he has.  He states that this list is
not the SCA, it is the Internet, and there are different rules here.  He
invites flames in response.

I'm sorry, but check the name of the mailing list again.  "Ansteorra" can mean
several things, but other than as a reference to Halley's Comet in 1066, all
the references I know are SCA.

The subscribers to this list are people with an interest in the SCA.  And I have
no more tolerance for obscene e-mail than I have for obscene phone calls.  The
number one standard for participation in SCA activities is courtesy.

Michael, I'm no computer-saavy net surfer, but my understanding of Internet in
general, and Usenet in particular, is that it is anarchy.  Why are you treating
the "Netiquette" file as a governing document?  If we choose to expect a higher
standard of courtesy on this list than in the Usenet, we can do this.  This is
not the Usenet.

I might turn your argument around and ask you if you can't deal with hearing about computers and computer-generated controversies at SCA events, how do you expect to get by in the real world when your employer calls you on weekends, or
interupts your vacation?

Finally, neither the SCA nor the Internet are places.  Each are groups of peoplewho are doing what they most like to do.  People behave in the fashion that theyfind most rewarding.  Unprovoked private e-mail of such an intimidating nature
as what I and others have received, hypocritically claiming to be concerned
about what new people might think, should not be rewarding.

"Flaming" people, like beating them up physically, is an ability, not a right.
On this list, we don't think it should be done with impunity.  I'm sure that
those who don't share my view will let me know.

- Viscount Galen of Bristol
 "Noblesse Oblige"