[Sca-cooks] roman feast

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 09:09:53 PDT 2008

cailte wrote:
>i am thinking of stretching my wings a bit and submitting
>a roman/saturnalia midwinter bid. yeah, i know.
>
>anyhoo, i know apicius, but can anyone direct me to some
>other research/writers/books?  or even best translations?

I did a 26-dish, 6-course Greco-Roman feast in 2003. Info, recipes, etc. at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/2003-Mists_Bardic/2003-Greco-Roman0.html

The references i used were:
Anonymous. Translated by Barbara Flower & Elizabeth Rosenbaum.
Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book. Peter Nevill, Ltd, London & New
York: 1958.
Until last year the best translation of the Apician cookbook.

Andrew Dalby. Siren Feasts, A History of Food and Gastronomy in
Greece. Routledge, London & New York: 1996.
Information about food and feast in ancient Greece. No recipes.

Andrew Dalby. Empire of Pleasures, Luxury and Indulgence in the Roman
World. Routledge, London & New York: 2000.
Information about food and feast in ancient Rome. No recipes.

Andrew Dalby. Dangerous Tastes: The Story of Spices. University of
California Press, Berkeley & Los Angeles: 2000.
A great fun read. I used parts from Greek and Roman references Dalby
quoted in my feast booklet.

Andrew Dalby and Sally Grainger. The Classical Cookbook. British
Museum Press, London: revised edition 2000.
Both history, illustrations, and recipes, original and modern.

Patrick Faas. Translated by Shaun Whiteside. Around the Roman Table:
Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome. Palgrave Macmillan, New York and
Hampshire UK: 1994, 2003.
Useful information as well as original and modern recipes. He only
gave the original for a Peach Patina, saying it was too weird to even
attempt. I made this same dish with great success (had some amazing
wonderful ripe peaches)

Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa. Translated by Anna Herklotz. A Taste of
Ancient Rome. University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London: 1992.
Information and recipes, original and modern, from a wide variety of
Roman sources. I'd recommend this for starters.

Grant, Mark. Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens.
Serif: London: 1999.
Grant wanted to try to reconstruct what more ordinary people ate, so
he avoided the Apician cookbook and used other sources. I'd also
recommend this for starters.

-------

Of course there's now an even better translation of Apicius, with a
companion modern recipe book.

Christopher Grocock and Sally Grainger. Apicius: A Critical Edition
with an Introduction and English Translation. Prospect Books. 2006.

Sally Grainger. Cooking Apicius: Roman Recipes for Today. Prospect Books. 2006.
with a selection of 64 recipes in original and modern format

Both books if bought together are still available from Prospect Books
for *less* than the price of the big Apicius alone!

If one wants to go back to some works that are not cookbooks, one can
plough through Cato, On Agriculture, and, IIRC, Pliny has food
related information too.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita