[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for July

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 2 22:10:55 PDT 2001

Greetings to the Known World,

Here is a copy of my monthly article for July describing what is new
in the Florilegium this month.

As you can see a number of the new files are articles that their
authors have sent me for inclusion in the Florilegium. If you have
an article that you think would interest others in the Known World,
please send it to me, especially if it covers something that is not
already covered in the files. The copyright stays with the author
and I will take material previously published in your local newsletter
or other publication. Often a craft that is being done in one area
is unknown in another. This is one way to benefit folks across the
SCA with the research or work you've done.

If you will be presenting a class at this year's Pennsic War, please
consider letting me use your class notes. Some class notes will not
stand alone well enough without the class they were written for, but
many will.

For folks getting ready for this next Pennsic, especially those for
whom this will be their first Pennsic, you might want to take a look
at the files in the PENNSIC section of the Florilegium. I especially
would like to see folks read through Baron Durr's Fire Safety article.
A little bit of reading now could save yourself or others from serious
injury later.

If anyone is going to Pennsic and would like to pass on complaints,
suggestions or comments about the Florilegium, please feel free to drop
by. I will be camping with the SPCA group in the W10 area.

Stefan

--------------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eleven years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

Files that are new or have been updated are indicated by a special
marker in the filelists at the website. In addition, the file
-updated-files is a listing of these files in chronological order.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in most sections of the
website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word or text formats.

If you find a bad link or other problem with the Florilegium website,
please let me know. Once I know about a problem I can usually fix it
that day but if no one alerts me to a problem it may be months before
I notice it myself.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

    THLord Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
    Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

The new files for this month are:
under NEWCOMER:
   SCA-courts-nc-msg  Comments and about SCA Courts for newcomers.
under ACCESSORIES:
   bags-baskets-msg   Items for carrying things in.
under ARCHERY:
   Crane-Beaks-art    "Crane Beaks - Markland-Type Arrowheads That
                         Can Be Reused" by Tomonaga.
under CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS:
   Hastings-2000-art  "The Battle of Hastings, 2000" by Duke
                         Arthur Lockehaven w. Duke Henrik of Havn.
under COMBAT-RAPIER:
   Ren-o-t-Sword-art  "The Renaissance of the Sword"
                                       by Lord Simon fitz Tomas.
   Styles-Swrdpl-art  "The Styles of Swordplay" by Lord
                         Simon fitz Tomas.
under CRAFTS:
   brushes-msg        Period brushes. Sources and substitutions.
under FEASTS:
   fd-transport-msg   Transporting cooked and prepared food.
   Platina-Feast-art  A feast from Platina by Lady Clotild.
   Platina-Lunch-art  An Italian lunch using recipes from Platina.
under FOOD:
   Brakng-t-Fast-art  "Breaking the Fast or What did they eat for
                          breakfast?" by Mistress Christianna
                          MacGrain, OP,OL, Meridies.
   pickled-meats-msg  Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.
under FOOD-FRUITS:
   coconuts-msg       Period use of coconuts. Opening them.
   figs-msg           Period figs. Period uses. Recipes.
under NORSE:
   Norse-lit-bib      Bibliography of Norse literature by Gunnora.
under PENNSIC:
   Eatng-Pennsic-art  "Eating in (Period) Style at Pennsic" by
                         Lord Bogdan de la Brasov, CW.
under PEOPLE AND PLACES:
   Francis-Drake-art  "Sir Francis Drake" by Lord Simon fitz Tomas.
under PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES:
   gardening-bks-bib  Various gardening bibliographies. Reviews.
   horseradish-msg    Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
under TEXTILE ARTS:
   8-P-Stitches-art   "Embroidery: Eight Period Stitches"
                         by Mistress Ealasaid nic Shuibhne.

Here are a few of the files that have been updated this month:
   Byzantine-msg      Byzantine culture, clothing, commerce.
   breadmaking-msg    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
   cordials-msg       Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.
   Elizabet-Fst-art   An Elizabethian feast menu and referances.
   fd-Germany-msg     Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
   haggis-msg         Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
   handicaps-msg      Handicaps in the SCA and period, hiding
                         wheelchairs, SCA sign language.
   headcooks-msg      Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
   meat-pies-msg      Period meat pies. Recipes.
   Moors-msg          Culture and clothing of the Moors.
   pirates-msg        Pirates throughout the Middle Ages.
   SCA-hist3-msg      Msgs on the history of the SCA.

In August a number of you may be headed to Pennsic. For those who are,
especially those who are making the trip for the first time, there are
some files in the PENNSIC and the SCA-CAMPING section which may prove
useful to you.
---
Copyright 2001, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net