[Ansteorra-announce] SEM's Ruling Relief Auctions

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Thu May 17 08:47:57 PDT 2001

Greetings Unto To The Most Generous People of Ansteorra,

As most of you know, the Society Earl Marshal's recent ruling affects every
combat arrow and crossbow bolt; as well as possibly most of the bows and
possibly most of the crossbows.  At this point in time the exact outcome is
uncertain.  However, what is certain is if we wait we will be behind the
power curve.

Currently, there are several approved Anti Penetration Devices (APD).
Testing on more designs is on going with promising results.

Many of our combat archers have expressed some deep concerns as to the
affordability of retrofitting their equipment to come up to the new
standards.  Some to the point of not being able to be a combat archers any
more.

To assist those affected by this recent ruling, I will be sponsoring several
auctions.  Because the proceeds will be going to assist individuals and the
SCA as a whole, I will be accountable for the funds collected.  Steps will
be taken to insure that all involved: those that donate items and those you
buy the items know the purpose of the auction.

Funds collected will be used to bring existing equipment up to the new
standards and not for the construction of new equipment.  Funds collected
will not be dispensed till after the BoD's review of the ruling in October.
In the mean time, I will be asking the combat archers to sign up to receive
this assistance.  The exact manner of signing up and distribution of
assistance will be determined in the next few months.  This is not a rebuild
Gilli's arrow fund!!  This is an attempt to keep Ansteorra's combat archers
strong and delivering death and destruction on our Kingdom's enemy.

Once the refit has been accomplished, any funds remaining will be given to
the Kingdom for the purpose of publication and distribution of a new
Participant's Handbook.  Should a new Participant's Handbook be published
and distributed before the refit is finished, then the remaining funds will
go to the Black Star.

At the present I have two silent auctions scheduled. The first is at Steppes
Warlord.  It will start at 1 PM on Saturday and go till just before court
with those who had the winning bid paying for and picking up their items at
the end of court.  If you have items for the auctions, please bring them to
me in the Great hall starting at Noon on Saturday.  I will have some signs
up on site about the auction.

The second one is at Academy of the Bow.  Time and place of the auction on
site TBD.

"Gilli, how much is this refit going to cost?"  I wish I could give a
definitive answer to this.  I just don't know.  With the small number of
currently approved APDs it could be expensive.  However, some of the APDs
still being tested, could cause the cost of a new combat arrow to actually
go down.  The same is true for crossbows.  However, it will cost.

To all you gracious folks who said you'd help and all you who didn't, now's
the time.

Thank you all in advance for helping to keep the skies above our Kingdom's
enemies dark with our arrows and bolts.

Gilli