[Ansteorra-announce] A Day of Swords and Song - Demo in Tahlequah, Ok on Nov 3rd

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Sun Oct 28 11:01:17 PST 2001

Greetings on a most beautiful Fall Day,

I would like to invite you all to join us at a demo that we will be doing
on the campus of Northeastern State University in Tahlequah Oklahloma on
November 3rd, from 10-2, with setup starting at 9.  Unlike the demos at
other colleges, we can't refer to it's glorious past and first annual
sounds far too pretentious, but we would love to have you as one of the
number who can look back at it and say that you were there.  I hope that it
will develop a history and be a gift that this wonderful Society can give
to my hometown.  We have the support of the Director of Housing and are
expecting a wonderful turnout from the college and town.   It should be a
glorious Fall day in the foothills of the Ozarks, the perfect setting for a
wonderful celebration of the Middle Ages.  There will be artisans, bards
and areas for fighting, both Chivalric and Rapier.

The low rock bridge across the water flowing from a spring into a small
pond, beside a small rock banked creek under the watchful eye of a small
castle is enough to bring all of our swashbuckling rapier fighters out, I
hope.  If that won't, I don't know what will.  (Ok, if it was warm and you
could toss each other off the bridge into the water and storm the banks of
the castle, but there are limitations.)

The historic Seminary Hall will be the back drop to the artisans and
musicians, it was the Cherokee Female Seminary and can be seen
at  http://www.nsuok.edu/directory/index.html  It also should be a
picturesque setting, with the multi colored leaves falling all
around.  Instruments that have been committed are harp, bowed psaltery,
recorders, mountain dulcimer, pennywhistles, guitar, violin/fiddle (not
sure which incarnation she does and possibly a hammered dulcimer.  For
those who have bemoaned the small numbers of instrumentalists, you have
been heard.  This should be a good place to recruit to your numbers and
also many possible sources of more, period music.

We have requested barricades to section off a largish area for the
Chivalric fighters to demonstrate both one on one combat and melees. It
should be grand, as you will be between the two areas described above on a
gentally sloping lawn.

I will have my green pavilion up and hopefully have a Hospitaller's banner
hanging from it, giving a central place to come by and check in.  For those
of you who don't know me, I usually wear a bright green tunic and white
pants at demos, so that I am easy to find.  The ones in the hospitaller's
guild of Northkeep will have on a small ribbon favor of red, white and
black ribbons; if you need anything at all, one of them should be able to
assist you.

In preparation for the day, please send me any details I would need to
know, such as you will be bringing a pavilion and wish to have space
reserved; any special needs, such as handicap parking or need access to
electricity for something you will have at your pavilion; you would be
willing to help as a Herald or will be bringing special items to
display.  Also, if you have a group that fights together for melees, please
let me know if we need to make any special arrangements for you.  Our local
Knights Marshal will be out of town that day and I am not sure if our
Rapier Marshal will be able to make it or not, so I hope to have a few
different marshals to coordinate the fighting throughout the day, .  I
would like to extend a special invitation to any Knights, Dons and
Centurions who would be able to make it.  Please let me know if you have
any special requests for the day or any senarios you would like to do.   I
will be honored to have any Laurels, but realize that Kingdom A&S is that
day and their presence is required there.

In short, the origin of this demo is because one of our members is off to
college at NSU and is missing the SCA greatly, as there is a limit to how
often he can travel to Tulsa.  It has become so much more than that, just a
very fortuitous combination of events and it feels as if it is something
that is just waiting to happen.  Tahlequah lies within Cherokee County, one
of the most beautiful places on earth and would be a wonderful place for
the SCA to be: expecially when you look at how close it is to sections of
our neighboring kingdoms of Calontir and Meridies. My hope is that a new
group will spring up and will have events in this lush and beautiful land
for us to come together in celebration of the dream together.    As a final
inducement, Indian time is very similer to SCA time, it is a very laid back
and free flowing sort of place that we will be right at home in.  I hope
that you will be able to join us and through sharing the joy of the SCA,
make our Society and society in general a better place.

Thank you for living this Dream,
Susan the Curious
Hospitaller
Barony of Northkeep
Ansteorra
Susan-the-Curious at swbell.net
http://northkeep.ansteorra.org/hospit/hospitaller.html
if you need assistance the day of,
my cell number is 918-605-6174

Links for directions:

This is as close as I can get of a map leading you directly to Seminary
Hall, as the college buildings don't have city addresses.
http://mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn/twn-map_results&map_tab.x=1&uid=ui89m0h5x7y3u3sd:ts9arwg62&SNVData=3mad3-h.fy%28a8w9r8_%29frwgr8%3bah7-%3dy72%2b%11%2bU%14%17LE%2b%17HM%3dJVPND%14%11%12M%28IY%3at5qyr.1a7n%3dGG_l41nhw%28.hw100u%28l%241w-u.wf7%3bxcx5sf7.grfe%7cs%247wv%28u&pcat=
It is in the large open area to the left of the star.  Coming from the
North you will be on Grand Ave and coming up from the South you will be on
Muskogee Ave.  (locally known as Main St) and the road jogs where they
connect and there is parking right off of that section.  This map should
allow you to find how to get to Tahlequah from any direction.

A campus map to help you find your way on campus,
http://www.nsuok.edu/about/campusmap.pdf
we are in the area surrounded by 8, 9, 13, 21 and 22 and the two parking
lots are easily identified

There will be a revel following at the Murrel Home Park which is to the
east of the Historic Murrel Home at the intersection of Keeler Drive on
Murrel Rd.  This is the only antibellum home that survived the Civil War
locally and is open for tours.
http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn%2Ftwn-map_results&uid=u64dv7v9wbv1d3td%3Atsluz0lzy&SNVData=3mad3-5.fy%2528a8ggu2_%2529frwdrz%253bah7-%253d%253aW34x%252bPk23_XX%2528_F%2515%2528xdrzn9%253a_wqf8gg%253aa%253bwh%257c2%2524hgv%2528l3iedgv%25245l1t%253b8&pcat=&aphoto=0&MAP_AB_LABELS=&WORK=&mouse_mode=zoomin&map.x=197&map.y=168

Then later in the evening there will be a bardic revel at the home of Lady
Lenore in Tahlequah, crash space is available for those needing to stay
over.  Let me know if you will be coming, directions will be available at
the demo and revel.