[Ansteorra-announce] Important plea from the Ansteorra admins...

Pug Bainter serveradmin at ansteorra.org
Wed May 15 06:49:08 PDT 2002

Good Morning,

IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT:
IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT:

  Do not think that this message is not aimed at you until you have done
  as I request below.

IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT:
IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT: IMPORTANT:

  Because of the rampant nature of the current strains of virus within
  the SCA community in this Kingdom, I am sending this message. I
  encourage all of you, if not getting on my knees to plea, that each of
  you:

- Get virus software installed
- Update your virus software to the latest version
- Update your virus definitions to the lastest version
- Setup the automated download of virus definitions
  - I recommend no less than once a week, and once a day if possible.

  I am receiving several hundred virus postings a week to the different
  mailing lists, my personal mail and people trying to figure out what
  can be done about the current virus issues. This does not include the
  mailing lists that I do not maintain, nor the issues that other
  individuals are having to deal with. The current outbreak is very
  annoying to try to track back to any particular individual in most
  cases because of how it forges the headers.

  Normally virii are not a big deal since the outbreaks only last a few
  days, in this partiuclar case we've had an outbreak going on for 3 weeks.
  Because of this, I decided it best to send a remdinder about where to
  get the more peopular virus software from. You can read moe about the
  particular strain at that is driving us all crazy at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@mm.html

  which includes a removal tool and instrucations on how to remove it
  manually. McAfee has similar information on their website as well.

----
Anti-Virus vendors:

http://www.mcafee.com               (http://www.mcafee.com/centers/anti-virus/)
http://www.symantec.com             (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/)
http://www.f-secure.com             (http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/)
http://www.windriver.com/virus/index.htm

A good "how-to" for safe email practices:

http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/safemail.asp
-----

  Remember if you get an attachment or weblink from someone that you
  are not suspecting, do not open it. Verify what the person sent you
  was meant for you and what the content is before opening it.

  I hope this information has been useful to you and you will use it
  wisely.

Sincerely,