[Ansteorra-announce] The Florilegium "Tiles of Many Media Display" Project

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 22:06:32 PDT 2003

The Florilegium Tile Project
By Lord Stefan li Rous, CSM

Looking for a fun project for this summer?

Want to show off the artform you do, but find the usual A&S displays
not to your liking?

Thinking about trying something new, but you haven’t found enough
incentive to do so?

Well, I have a solution for you! Enter a tile in the Florilegium Tile
Project.

What is it? Well it is a somewhat wacky display showing what the many
talented gentles in the SCA do in the way of various period Arts and
Sciences. It is also your opportunity to try something new.

The basic idea is for those interested to create one or more tiles
using an artform done during the period we study. Oh, you say.
Ceramics. No, it is not limited to an artform that they used in period
to create a tile. *Any* artform that can be done on a tile 8 inches by
8 inches, between one and one and one-half inches thick. Thin artforms
such as embroidery can be put on a backing tile.

How about a tile with your device on it made of sugarpaste? Or one
carved into wood? Or done in tooled leather? Or blown into glass? Or if
you tend to
break ceramics, a tile mosaic? Are you better working with embroidery or
calligraphy? Thin media can be backed with another material to create a
stiff
tile of the appropriate size. How about copperworking or other
metalwork?

Anyone may enter as many tiles as they wish, except you may have only
one tile in any one media or artform.

We will be holding three displays at a three separate events across a
wide expanse of the Known World. We are planning displays at Lilies War
in June, the Pennsic War in August and the Known World A&S Collegium in
September.

Not going to one of these events? Well, this contest is open to all SCA
folks whether you are attending one of the events or not. Just send
your tile or tiles to the event with someone who is going. We are also
working on the possibility of being able to handle tiles by mail.

More details can be found on the Florilegium or at this site:
http://www.mindspring.com/~tripper/serena/TileProject/

There is even a maillist set up for those who would like to discuss the
project, find some useful referances, or simply ask questions or make
suggestions. To subcribe use: FlorilegiumTiles-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Just as this display is meant to show what SCA folks from across the
Known
World can do in the Arts, I also welcome volunteers from across the
Known
World to help out with this project either at these events or
beforehand.
There is even a maillist for the staff to coordinate things. If you
would like to help out in this project, either at the events or
beforehand, please contact me. Or apply for the maillist and when will
contact you.