[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for June and the Florilegium Tiles Project

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 28 22:26:32 PDT 2003

Greetings to the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June.

Unfortunately, I am still trying to recover from my disk crash in early
April. Among the things still to be put back together are the programs
I wrote to convert text files to HTML files with the format used in the
Florilegium. Thus there are very few new files this month.

I have also included some information on the Florilegium Tile Project.
The display events for this project are widely scattered across the
Known World. As well, this project is meant to be open to those that
will not be able to attend these events but wish to send a tile to
participate in their place. Thus, I am trying to get word out to all
corners of the Known World to reach all the folks who might be
interested.

I would appreciate any help that any newsletter editors would like to
provide in helping me get word out about this project. There are also
some additional articles on the Tile Project webpage.

Please feel free to pass this on to any newsgroup or mail list where
the folks might be interested, but please check to make sure it hasn't
already been posted there.

I am in need of a kingdom representative for this project to help
coordinate things on a local level as well as folks to help at the
three display events. I plan to take digital photos of each tile at the
two events I will be attending, Lilies War and Pennsic and we will be
displaying these on the website for folks who can't get to the events
to see. I would appreciate additional photographers as well as someone
to take pictures at the event I won't be attending, the Known World A&S
Collegium in September.

Anyone interested in this project is encouraged to join the Florilegium
Tile mail list, whose address is given in the article below.

Thanks,
    Stefan
--------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past thirteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

In early April my harddisk decided to distroy itself. Unfortunately, I
had
not been making regular backups. While all of the material already on
the
website was unaffected, I have lost much of the material that I had been
saving to place in the Florilegium. Because of this, and because I am
still
trying to put my computer system and its data back together, I’m afraid
that there are only a few new files this month. Hopefully this will
change soon.

If you have sent me an article for the Florilegium and have not seen it
appear on the website, could you please send a copy to me again, for
alas,
I may have now lost it.

I am always interested in new articles. Especially now. :-) If you have
written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA,
please
send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
      Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

The new files for this month are:
In the CLOTHING section:
    Wearing period clothing. Moving in it.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/wearg-p-fshns-msg.html
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    Various period dental hygiene and mouthwash
                          products by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/p-dental-care-art.html

Looking for a fun summer time project? Want to try a new art form, but
haven’t gotten the courage to plunge into it? Want to show off a period
art to those around you but don’t like the usual SCA A&S competitions?

Well, consider entering an item in the Florilegium Tile Project. This
is a
Known World wide project and will be held at three of the major SCA
events
this summer. These are Lilies War in June, Pennsic in August and the
Known
World A&S Collegium in September. And you don’t have to be present to
enter,
if you can find someone else to bring your tile to the event.

The basic premise is to make an 8 x 8 inch tile using any art form done
during the SCA period, whether it was used then for tiles or not.
Perhaps a
carved wood or ivory tile or a parchment tile of calligraphy or a tile
of
marzipan or metal tile. You could even make one of ceramic. No, no solid
chocolate tiles. It has to be a material known in period.

The design on the tile is up to the artist. At each of the display
events
we will be arranging these tiles into a large gridded pattern. At the
event
you will be able to get a listing showing which tile was at which
location
so you can identify the tiles in your photographs later.

More details can be found on the website:
http://www.mindspring.com/~tripper/serena/TileProject/
We even have a maillist for those who would like to discuss tile ideas,
resources or ask questions. FlorilegiumTiles-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Folks, especially Nobles, are encouraged to give largesse to the entries
which impress them the most.
---
Copyright 2003, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com