[Ansteorra-announce] Fiber Arts Track at King's College, June 14, Bjornsborg

Carolle Ternus cternus at texas.net
Wed May 28 23:47:48 PDT 2003

Greetings Ansteorra.

King's College is rapidly approaching.  If you have an interest in the textile arts, check out the classes in the Fiber Track.  All classes are beginning to intermediate level.

This is the schedule and list of classes for the fiber track, as it stands now.  A couple of the classes suggest or require supplies be brought to the class, so read carefully.

If you have any questions, contact me at cternus at texas.net .

Radegund of Tours,
Fiber Arts Track Coordinator
King's College
June 14, 2003
Bjornsborg

9:00-9:45am
class 1: Beginning Drop Spinning
Instructor: Lady Abigail Pinel
Class description: Learn to spin on a top weight drop spindle.  Materials provided.  Students may bring their own spindle or purchase one in class.
Max # of students: 10
Fees: $5.00  includes spindle and wool
Pertinent Information: I'll also have samples of other fibers, differences between combed and carded fibers, silk, flax, cotton, and whatever else I can get my hands on.  I'll provide sources for purchase of spindles and fiber.

10:00am - 10:45am
Class 2: Begin at the Beginning:  Fleece characteristics, selection, and care
Instructors: Corrinne Elizabeth Drake, OL and Charla Noel duLac, OL
Class description: Learn to match the right fiber to the right project.  This class provides an overview of  common animal fibers (ex. various sheep breeds, alpaca) and how fiber selection can  affect a project.  Discussion will also include washing techniques, understanding woolen and worsted characteristics,  and if time
allows, a brief review of preparation tools.
Max # of students:  10
Fee:  $2.00 (to cover cost of handouts)
Equipment:  students do not need to bring anything.

11:00-11:45am
Class 3: Introduction to Knitting in the Round
Instructor: HL Audette des Grenouilles
Class Description:  Learn to knit in the round on double-pointed needles.
Max # students: 5
Fees: Reimbursement to instructor for knitting needles.  Or bring you own double-pointed needles, sized around 4mm to 4.5mm (US sizes 7-8).

Noon- 12:45pm
class 4: Basic Weaves
Intructor: HL Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh
Class description:  Learn the basic types of weaves found in the Middle Ages.  You will weave your own sampler to take home.  After this course, you will be able to pick out different weaves from archeology reports, paintings, statues, and bardic descriptions, and match them in a modern fabric store.
Max # of students:  20
Fees: Donations to defray costs accepted.
Supplies that students need to bring: None

1:00-1:30pm  LUNCH BREAK

1:30-2:15pm,
class 5: Beginning Inkleweaving
Intructor: HL Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh
Class description:  Learn how to fast-warp, start, weave & finish a belt on an inkleloom.  Explore the possible patterns an inkleloom can produce.  Each participant will leave with a completed sampler.
Max # of students: 10 (I can accept up to 2 without looms)
Fees: $2
Supplies that students need to bring: Empty inkleloom, shuttle/beater.  If you have pre-measured heddles, bring them, too.
NOTE:  Simple inkleloom plans are at <http://anvil.unl.edu/toli/loom.html>.  If you don't have a beater, bring a new, sharpened,  #2 pencil.

2:30-3:15pm,
Class 6: Beginning Lucet
Instructor: Fionna ni Cheallaigh, OL
Class Description: Class is designed for beginners with little to no experience with a lucet.  Handout provided.
Max # students: 8
Min Age: 12
Fees: None, unless the student wants to take a lucet and bobbin home. ($5)  All other supplies will be provided.
Pertinent Info: An Advanced Lucet class will be offered at the next College.  Now's the time to learn!  Proficiency will be required for the advanced class.  :)

3:30-4:14pm,
class 7:  Beginning Kumi Himo
Instructor: Fionna ni Cheallaigh, OL
Class Description: Class is designed for beginners with little to no experience with kumi himo.  Handout provided.
Max # students: 6
Min Age: 12
Fees: None, unless the student wants to take the equipment home.
($30 for Maru Dai & 8 bobbins)  All other supplies will be provided.

3:30 - 5:30 pm,
OUTSIDE
Class 8: Beginning Felting
Instructor - Morgan Cain
Class description - Students learn the basics of turning fiber into felt
Class length - Two hours
Max # of students - about ten (or they make smaller items)
Fees - $2.00 for handout and fiber
Supplies that students need to bring - none
Pertinent Information - all ages can participate, but it is better for about age four and older.  Need to be able to squeeze with the hands.

4:30-5:15pm
Class 9: Speedwarping Double-faced Tablet Weaving
Instructor: HL Klare mette Katten
Class Description: The class will learn a quick way to warp an inkle loom for two-color doubleface tablet weaving and will leave with a handout including some patterns
Max # of students: no limit
Fees: None
Supplies that students need to bring:  If the student wants to warp her own loom in class then bring the inkle loom, 4 balls of fiber (2 of each color), a pack of 24, 4-hole cards, and a shuttle loaded with an appropriate thread. I will have any other supplies we might need and I will share.

NOTE:
All classes in the Fiber Track are inside a classroom, EXCEPT the Felting class, which is outside.